What's a high O. G. ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkKF

Reaction score
I made a blueberry apple cider recently that had a O. G. Of 1.090

Made me wonder what's a high O. G. Anyone here start higher than 1.100?

Do these high O. G. ciders require wine/champagne yeast or will ale yeast still do the trick?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

it probably doesn't count as cider anymore, but I started one that I have to estimate at 1.190. I say this because I reached the end of the graduations on my hydrometer and then kept going with some sugar additions. It's still fermenting, but the last sample I tried tasted like a sweet mead. Granted the only mead I've tried was "Medieval Sweet Mead Reserve" which was a 16% mead with a gold medal at the coupe de nations in quebec. my batch definitely warmed me up, but didn't cause any burning.

I just finished jacking some that started at 1.150 using only apple juice concentrate and finished out at 1.03 using red star champagne yeast. My goal was high final ABV though. It was ok straight, a little dryer than I expected it to taste at that FG but it was always going to be made into applejack.

Taking 1.1 down to dry would be around 13% which most ale yeasts can't come close to. If you aren't trying to get that down to dry and just want it sweet at the finish then using an ale yeast is fine. All depends on what you are trying to achieve really.

I started a cider and used champaign yeast lavelyn 1118 something like that. Ended up at .092 and then I back sweetened it.

This stuff is just under 20% abv tangy and sweet.i have a hood amount of carb in it and the keg cold. It is pretty good. But it's not your momma's 6% from the store though.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back