What would you do with your last days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder_Chicken

Reaction score
Envision that you are elderly, or perhaps a younger person with a terminal disease. You are in good health now, but know that your days are numbered and you want to make the most of them. What would you do?

This came up as a rather interesting conversation over dinner with friends a few weeks ago, and actually made several of us consider the positive aspects of death. We came up with a few rules to bound our imaginations:

• Whatever you do, it should not harm anyone else.
  • If you screw up, you don't want to be injured (slow, agonizing pain) - you would prefer to be blown to smithereens...no dilly-dallying.
  • Doing something where our deaths would do something positive for the rest of the living would be ideal, but not necessarily required.

Ideas that were kicked about:

Take every illicit drug that you scrupulously avoided in college. ALL of them. LSD, methamphetamine, whatever. Mix em up, the more colorful the pill the better. Hell, you're a 90 year old in a walker - how much trouble could you possibly cause?.

Join the bomb squad for those particularly dangerous defusings. Stand back and just give me a good bottle of whiskey and some rusty wire-cutters. Do I cut the red or the black wire? Who cares, I'll just cut em all.

Join the army and send me out against the enemy. Imagine an army of old geezers with NO fear of death coming over the hill at you, racing to beat you to your 72 virgins.

Take up wingsuit jumping. Good, but unfortunately there is a risk of hitting the ground and living:

But we felt that this would likely finish off grandma with her osteoporosis and all that.

Help clean up Chernobyl and Fukushima. Cancer, schmancer! I already have stage IV lung cancer...the radiation might actually help. And look at the pretty blue glow! Some pensioners in Japan have already suggested this.

What are your ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some years ago, I took my car around Mid Ohio as fast as I dared. Shortly thereafter I had a cervical fusion (unrelated). I have stayed off the track at race pace since then, because a sudden stop might not end well. Unfortunately, it looks like I will need perhaps another cervical as well as a lumbar fusion in the near future. So I think if my days were numbered, I would head back to the track with a faster car :)

I would quit work and travel as much as I could and enjoy doing whatever I could get myself into

One-way manned space mission to Mars/Jupiter/Anywhere Cosmic rays? Awesome, it will improve my tan. Cancer schmancer. Won't be coming back to earth? No big deal, I didn't like you young kids on my lawn anyway. I'll send a postcard.

I would resign my job, take my pension money (assuming that I'm not 90 years old) and go camp at my favorite beach in Mozambique, so secluded that in a 11 day visit there we only saw other people on one occasion, briefly. With the closest form of civilization about three hours away, of which two and a half is serious offroad driving.
There I would spent my last days drinking Rum (Tipotinto, a local rum) and Raspberry soda, quite fittingly known as a R&R, aimlessly wondering around on the beach and in the forest and snorkeling everyday.

I'll forever be haunted by that place!

I reject every single one of your rules. If I know the date of my upcoming death I am having fun...

1) I did all of the drugs in college i'm ever gonna do. I checked that off my bucket list 20 years ago.

2) The rest of your suppositions are machismo boosh. The truth is, if your doctor did reveal your birth certificate had an expiration date, you'd be in shock. You'd go through the usual seven stages of grief, and once you got through acceptance, you'd find something to make your tiny little contribution to this blue marble meaningful to you.

Here's a more realistic outlook:

Take care of arrangements: You'd want to make sure that your family, friends and your funeral arrangements were all well taken care of. If you're married with Wife and Kids, your focus would be primarily on them. You'd spend more time mending fences, forgiving petty squabbles and family strife and trying to make sure everyone is on the same page. You'll want everyone to remember the good things about you.

Bucket List: If there are any realistic goals on your bucket list, you'd want to scratch them off before things start to go south on you. Fantasize about that three way with the two hot girls? Get a buddy to take you to vegas and make it happen. Want to tour the coffeeshops of Amsterdam? Better make that plane reservation now. Your friends all freaked out and bummed? Have the epic kegger party and remind them that your death is gonna be ok. They'll get through it, and by the way, drink this beer you made for them. Wanna make that ninteen year old single Mom waitress's night that's busting her ass in some greasy spoon and doesn't realize how wonderful and beautiful she is? Leave her that anonymous $500 tip.

Personal: After you're finished asking your God or Devil why this had to happen to you, you'd probably do a lot of soul searching. You'd figure out what sort of a faith in the afterlife you have (or don't have) and attempt to get right with whichever higher power seems most appropriate to your situation. Whether that's going to church, making amends, or praying long and hard, you'll do what you feel you need to do to come to terms with the thought of not being alive any more. Find a piece of inner peace and go with that.

get drunk on my front lawn and heckle all the people walking by on the sidewalk

1) I did all of the drugs in college i'm ever gonna do. I checked that off my bucket list 20 years ago.

2) The rest of your suppositions are machismo boosh. The truth is, if your doctor did reveal your birth certificate had an expiration date, you'd be in shock. You'd go through the usual seven stages of grief, and once you got through acceptance, you'd find something to make your tiny little contribution to this blue marble meaningful to you.

Take care of arrangements: You'd want to make sure that your family, friends and your funeral arrangements were all well taken care of. If you're married with Wife and Kids, your focus would be primarily on them. You'd spend more time mending fences, forgiving petty squabbles and family strife and trying to make sure everyone is on the same page. You'll want everyone to remember the good things about you.

Bucket List: If there are any realistic goals on your bucket list, you'd want to scratch them off before things start to go south on you. Fantasize about that three way with the two hot girls? Get a buddy to take you to vegas and make it happen. Want to tour the coffeeshops of Amsterdam? Better make that plane reservation now. Your friends all freaked out and bummed? Have the epic kegger party and remind them that your death is gonna be ok. They'll get through it, and by the way, drink this beer you made for them. Wanna make that ninteen year old single Mom waitress's night that's busting her ass in some greasy spoon and doesn't realize how wonderful and beautiful she is? Leave her that anonymous $500 tip.

Personal: After you're finished asking your God or Devil why this had to happen to you, you'd probably do a lot of soul searching. You'd figure out what sort of a faith in the afterlife you have (or don't have) and attempt to get right with whichever higher power seems most appropriate to your situation. Whether that's going to church, making amends, or praying long and hard, you'll do what you feel you need to do to come to terms with the thought of not being alive any more. Find a piece of inner peace and go with that.

No consequences and unlimited alcohol......... If these are the the things you want to do,power to ya. Me? I am a fukcing ass hole who doesnt like to be around people. I am having a little fun. Ever watched the movie Groundhog Day?

Really?!? WOW!!! someone who knows what most of humanity thinks and how we'll react, with no consideration of psychological differentiation or cultural beliefs. total genius :mug: my wife already knows my wishes for after-death disposal, i've spent my life trying to treat people right so won't worry about "fixing", and have no belief in any afterlife. if i found out i was going to die next week, yes, i'd spend it with my family, but not to "make things right", but because that's what would make all of us happy

I have to reject your "rules"

I would check with my lie insurance carrier about how my arrest and or demise would affect the payout to my family.
Assuming it didn't I would kill, probably torture and then kill, as many people as I could who wronged me during my life.
If it nulled the payout; I would do the same, but try and get away with it.

I think a lot of people would do exactly what I would. I think almost none would admit it.

I have to reject your "rules"

I would check with my lie insurance carrier about how my arrest and or demise would affect the payout to my family.
Assuming it didn't I would kill, probably torture and then kill, as many people as I could who wronged me during my life.
If it nulled the payout; I would do the same, but try and get away with it.

I think a lot of people would do exactly what I would. I think almost none would admit it.

Just be sure to sell your life insurance policy off before the second point and at least your family gets something out of it.

Have a cup of coffee and smoke a cigarette. Today could be my last day,who knows? I'm not changing it up because I found out I'm about to die. No grand event will cap my life off or make me feel complete. Just knowing I did what I do and loved what I could is enough for me.

I think I'd start smoking again. Other than some traveling, I can't tell you the rest due to legal concerns. Regards, GF.

Haha, I could have wrote that. I quit the butts a long time ago, but there are times I really miss them.

I'd most certainly live my last days fishing in michigan with a carton of cigs.

Have a cup of coffee and smoke a cigarette. Today could be my last day,who knows? I'm not changing it up because I found out I'm about to die. No grand event will cap my life off or make me feel complete. Just knowing I did what I do and loved what I could is enough for me.

Exactly my sentiment. I like the way I live so I probably wouldn't change anything. If you're waiting to do something before you die, you should already have it on your short-range plan.

Haha, I could have wrote that. I quit the butts a long time ago, but there are times I really miss them.

I'd most certainly live my last days fishing in michigan with a carton of cigs.

Sounds good. I think I'd like to go deep sea fishing & enjoy smoking a pipe again, maybe some really nice cigars. Years ago I had a Partagas cigar that was wrapped with tobacco leaves that had been aged 18 years; it was an AWESOME smoke!
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back