what would happen if...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Righlander

Reaction score
what would happen if after bottling i took a 12 pack of pints in a sealed box and put them in the fridge to bottle condition? I know its a bit too cold in there for lagering but, i wonder what it would be like. Anyone know? sorry i'm a Noob!

Yes if it was done with an ale yeast they will need to sit at room temperature in order to carbonate the beer. What will happen, if you put them in the fridge is that the yeast will go dormant and not carbonate your beer. You will have cold and probably pretty clear, but flat beer. I don't agree with the 3 week time period, however. That is a good time to wait seeing as carbonation should surely be done by that point but they could be carbonated much quicker just check a bottle every few days or week.

You will need to let the bottles carbonate at room temperature first (at least 3 weeks), but after that you can chill them down no problem.

I second that. They may be carbonated after 1 1/2 to 2 but at 3 weeks they will be much better. Depending on the style you may want to wait longer than that.

Back