What was your very first All Grain Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
orfy said:
Whoa, Abra. Take a breath man. Paragraphhs were invented and are used for a reason.

Now you know why I had to take English 101 three times. Writing is not exactly my strong suit. Still don't know why I like doing it. Maybe the challenge. Can't spell or type worth a flip either:)

I'm the same but I guess I over use white space.

I think it makes linger posts easier to read.

I quite often go through after a post and remove some of the blank lines.

I'll look at a post and thin WFT I know the difference between "add" and "had" but my fingers sometimes do thier own thing!!!!!

My first AG batch was supposed to be a "simple" blueberry ale for a camping trip. I got good extraction but since I always think I know more than I do about things I decided to add 1/2 the blueberries at the beginning of the boil instead of the end like the recipie said. The result was the most unique brew I've ever seen or made. My friend's named it blue hole, because it had a purplish/blue color and was so thick no light could escape it! Anyway after aging it for a few months it tasted alright (not like a blueberry beer, or any beer for that matter) so all wasn't lost. I agree with most in saying a pale ale is probably the smartest way to start.

I popped my AG cherry about a month ago and it was an IPA. It's in the keg now for 2 days and I'm not impressed yet. It's still a bit green and harsh but I'm sure it will mellow. I'm dry hopping in the keg and I'm assuming it's just too young and also needs to mellow after the initial carbing.

I'll tell ya what though, kegging becomes easier with every batch and that includes rebuilding the keg. I had it done, including racking and dryhopping in 20 minutes. Try bottling on that schedule.

Bobby_M said:
....I'm not impressed yet. It's still a bit green and harsh but I'm sure it will mellow. I'm dry hopping in the keg and I'm assuming it's just too young and also needs to mellow after the initial carbing.

:off: I have an IPA in the bottles now and I'm getting the same green harshness. Its been bottled for 3 weeks. It's mellowed a little but still not enjoyable. It seems to be the style since your getting the same taste.

:off: Know what you mean Ofry. There are some posters here I just skip over, too hard to read. Having gone through the "stream of consciousness" writing in the '60s, I don't need to go there again.

My first AG brew was my 12th and it was a pumpkin spice beer. I wish I had tried a few before I made it because the spices over did it or me.

My First ever brew was all grain ,
A Hefe, lots of things went wrong :)
the grain bill came improperly crushed
Conversion took forever
I lost control of the temp.
The runoff stuck.
I had no clue really what was going on during the sparge so i managed to make it very grainey i wound up with an extra gallon of wert
ummmm
I had no chiller so I put the boil into a keg and put the keg in cold water overnite,
It fermented well we drank and we cheered and it was all good :)

Kolsch...had to get back to my German roots. I still show off my pics through my sig-link below.

The first beer my SWMBO liked so she made me name it for her...

ColleensKolsch_A.jpg

My first was a big ol' barley wine. Turned out great but drank all of it after only 6 months of aging. I wonder what it would have been like after a year or even two...

My first was a Double Chocolate Stout. Went off without a hitch. I just did my third AG today. Still havn't had any problems.

An ESB. As of yesterday. Things seemed to go smoothly for the most part. It's starting to bubble this a.m.

However it turns out, it was really enjoyable making it. I don't know if I'll go back to extract soon.

My very first AG was a Hop Rod Rye. Turned out excellent, and drove me into the total insanity of adding rye to all kinds of beers. My recent Hop Rod Stout is fantastic.

Mine was a pretty basic Pale Ale.
Santa Maria's Maiden Voyage

It all went much more smoothly than I had expected, but I had a veteran AG brewing present to nudge me a long.

The beer is really good, but there was a lot of sediment in the keg. If you jostled it around at all, you would get cloudy pints until it settled down again.

-walker

Back