What type of Coffee Beans do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let us know how it turns out it sounds really good.

@mrgstiffler I think the guy in my brewclub(won our club brown ale contest) let his whole beans sit 5-7 days if im remembering right.

KeyWestBrewing said:
Anytime you can call the owner of the local coffee roasting company and trade homebrew for beans... Id say your lucky. How was the presence of the coffee in the final product?

It was quite balanced, the beer was about 6.5 abv, used willamette for finishing hops. If the coffee was taken away, the amber ale would have been pretty bland. I didn't want a lot of malt presence to interfere with the coffee. Every one that drank coffee loved it.

And when you scaled back did you just cut down the base malt? Or did you just type the OG you wanted into beersmith and use those proportions?

Scaled all the grains back using the gravity adjustment in Beersmith. I wanted to keep the ratios the same. Ended up with some odd amounts, but I just rounded off to the nearest ounce.

I added some coffee to a Russian Imperial Stout. Wanted only a small coffee contribution that hopefully blends in with the rest of the ingredients as it ages.

I coarsely ground 0.6 oz of Caribou blend beans, added them to my hop bag with marbles, and let them sit for 24 hours in primary right before I racked to secondary. Hydrometer sample at racking showed the flavor, but it was not real noticeable. I'd say the contribution will be pretty minor after 1 year of aging, if I can taste it at all.

The best kind of coffee to add is, without a doubt, the kind of coffee that you enjoy drinking.

Lately, I've been drinking the Trader Joe's Bolivian Medium Roast.
Whole Foods 365 Pacific Rim Blend is also nice.

The "Destroyer" espresso blend from Ceremony Coffee is also full-flavored, though the Trader Joe's coffee is really drinkable.
http://ceremonycoffee.com

It was quite balanced, the beer was about 6.5 abv, used willamette for finishing hops. If the coffee was taken away, the amber ale would have been pretty bland. I didn't want a lot of malt presence to interfere with the coffee. Every one that drank coffee loved it.

Thats awesome. Ive never seen coffee used in an Amber, nice touch.

Anyone ever order and use the Wake n Bake coffee blend? Ive had Wake n Bake from Terrapin and love that stout. And IIRC they sell their unique coffee blend on their site.

Like others here, I brew a stout (milk stout actually) for coffee additions. I cold brew because I feel it is a smoother fit (I am a sugar and cream guy). I found a roaster out of Boulder that has a blend with some nice chocolate notes. It fits quite well with the milk stout.

On another note. I finally got a chance to try a couple of beers at Renegade Brewing Co. here in Denver. One of the beers i tried was their Sunday Morning. It is a coffee ale (read an article that mentions that it is a strong ale with a hefty dose of coffee beans). Wasn't sure what to expect with the color being like a medium amber ale. Blown away on how well the flavors melded. My project for the next few weeks is to figure that one out.

B

peaktopview said:
Like others here, I brew a stout (milk stout actually) for coffee additions. I cold brew because I feel it is a smoother fit (I am a sugar and cream guy). I found a roaster out of Boulder that has a blend with some nice chocolate notes. It fits quite well with the milk stout.

On another note. I finally got a chance to try a couple of beers at Renegade Brewing Co. here in Denver. One of the beers i tried was their Sunday Morning. It is a coffee ale (read an article that mentions that it is a strong ale with a hefty dose of coffee beans). Wasn't sure what to expect with the color being like a medium amber ale. Blown away on how well the flavors melded. My project for the next few weeks is to figure that one out.

B

That sounds dank!! Do you know if they have a website or do they only do business locally?

If anyone knows really good roasters that do business throughout the states please post the info.

Go to your coffee house and ask them what s their best coffee. Try it,if you like it use it .Try different coff. before you use them.:mug:

I just added 5 cups of chocolate coffee(cold brewed) @ bottling. The hydrometer sample tasted pretty good. Nice coffee taste up front but not too powerful. Im excited to drink this in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back