What type/brand of labels do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THRobinson

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone had any feedback on what to use and what not to use for labels?

For example, is AVERY any good or do they peel off too fast? Any other brands? Stickers vs glue? etc...

Once I finally settle on a name/style, I'd like to have some colour laser prints done (since ink from a bubble-jet will run) and wondering about the paper itself.

:fro:

I've read that standard paper and a glue stick is the best way to go as they soak right off for recycling bottles. It's also cheaper. I would assume stickers would leave a lot of residue/paper behind. I've scrubbed more labels off bottles in the past few days than I want to ever again. I have yet to label anything, but plan on going this route.

Well, I know some labels (can't recall if AVERY or another brand) as soon as the bottle gets too cold or gets a sweat, the label peels off on it's own. Some glues are stronger than others but, not wanting to spend $20 finding out. :)

Upside to things like AVERY are the precut sheets. If you can find them the right size, fit 4-6 per sheets it's a great time saver.

I'm looking to start using regular beer bottles. I have some of the plastic beer bottles now, but, want something more disposable (I give beer away to friends) so looking for something that sticks well to glass when cold/sweaty.

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_356_439&products_id=1503

From how it reads, I gather not pre-cut sheets but rather plain 8.5"x11", but a water activated glue back, like wine labels and envelopes use.

Though it says use an inkjet, which I think would be bad, since the label needs to be damp to stick and ink bleeds. Again, I'll take my design in and have it colour laser printed from a PDF file.

Has anyone tried these?

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_356_439&products_id=1503

From how it reads, I gather not pre-cut sheets but rather plain 8.5"x11", but a water activated glue back, like wine labels and envelopes use.

Though it says use an inkjet, which I think would be bad, since the label needs to be damp to stick and ink bleeds. Again, I'll take my design in and have it colour laser printed from a PDF file.

I've used those for my wine labels and they work great. I print them on a HP deskjet and have never had any bleeding. They come off with a quick wash in water.

I use small circle labels for the caps. After spending so much time removing labels, the last thing I want to do is put more back on. It's really quick and easy to put 50 or so stickers on the caps. The best part is, I don't have to fill my bathtub with beer bottles.

There were some nice colored circles at Office Max that I liked. They cost almost $20 for 1500 stickers. That seems like it's about $17 too much for some stupid stickers. I wandered over a couple of isles and started looking at the goofy stickers. I found colored smiley stickers for only a few bucks for 2000. More stickers for a fraction of the price?! I'd almost feel stupid if I got the boring, expensive ones. I keep a sheet of paper and record what beer goes with each sticker.

0308000054.jpg

0308000039a.jpg

Like LiquidCourage said, printer paper and glue stick is the way to go. They don't fall off when the bottles get cold, or discolor like milk has for me. I have a tub of Oxyclean in the kitchen I drown empties in, and they're floating within twenty minutes.

All of these bottles (except the commercial ones...duh) are printer paper and glue:
fridge8.jpg

teamphoto.jpg

Make sure you print with a laserjet if you're going to use the paper/glue-stick method. Inkjet ink will bleed when the bottle sweats. I prefer using the Avery brand glue-stick over Elmers. The Avery glue stuck to the bottles better.

+1 on printer paper and glue sticks. I have not experienced any issues with ink jet like others mention, although I don't typically see my bottles sweatign much. Also, most of my experience is with bottling wine rather than beer.

I use small circle labels for the caps. After spending so much time removing labels, the last thing I want to do is put more back on. It's really quick and easy to put 50 or so stickers on the caps. The best part is, I don't have to fill my bathtub with beer bottles.

Although the removal of labels doesn't appeal to me, I just graduated a 3yr Graphic Design course so, if I don't design a label, well, I'm an embarrassment to my profession. ;)

Otherwise, I'd use a sharpie and just initial the caps and save even more time. :D

I use little round stickers I got at office depot, label em with a pen and then stick them to the caps. If I create a fancy label...I'll just use em for kegs:)

Back