What time do you brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What time do you normally brew?

• Morning (i.e., before noon)

• Afternoon

• Evening (i.e., after dinnertime)

• Middle of the night

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have a friend who works 2nd shift, so I usually wait till about noon to brew so he can wander over and help.

If he is gong to be a no go, Ill brew first thing in the AM.

Hopefully in the morning, but I'm not against a post-work brew sesh if I'm running dangerously low :p

i am usually up and out in the brewery by 5:30 or 6 AM, getting water flitered and, if it is raining, the easy-up put up. I try to mash in no later than 9AM.

Morning. I like to start by 7:00 a.m. or so boiling mash water. Getting done by lunch frees up the rest of the day (usually Saturdays). I am starting a new job next week where I will be working 2 or 3 weeks at a stretch 7 days a week, then be off an equivalent amount of time. So I will probably brew during the week in the future but still prefer morning. Particularly in the hot summertime in Mississippi. Around here, it's best to do anything outside (especially involving a gas burner!) early in the morning. I have started a mash boil around 6:00 a.m. but that isn't too common.

I'm a truck driver with a 2 year old and a 4 month old. I can only brew at night after the wife and kids go to bed. So usually start around 10:30pm and finish up around 2:30-3am

Glad I'm a night owl.

Morning. Some time between 7-9AM... Every now and then I might start as late as 10-11AM if it's a spontaneous brew! My brew day can be as short as 4 hours and as long as 7 hours depending on how long I'm mashing, how many batches I make, and if I'm also bottling or not....

katahdin said:
i like to start early. Setup the night before and start by 7am . I try to have everything cleaned up by 1pm so i have the rest of the day to do other things.

+1

Meatyboy said:
I'm a truck driver with a 2 year old and a 4 month old. I can only brew at night after the wife and kids go to bed. So usually start around 10:30pm and finish up around 2:30-3am

Glad I'm a night owl.
Your not alone- I'm up with you brother.

I'm a middle of the night guy. I've never started before 7 PM. Not a morning person, and I like to have a friend or two over. They like to come over and help, and we make it an event. Get some tunes going, have some brews, BS while the mash is going and for the longer stretches of the boil where nothing happens. I feel the brewing vibes at night too ;)

I'm usually up by 5:30 am, start the coffee, then start the strike water. I usually have most everything measured out the night before, so I'm usually done and cleaned up way before I have to start doing real life things.

My last extract-based, 30 minute boil, hopbursted IPA was cleaned up and put away in 2 hours so I can brew whenever.

Well, I start before noon, because if I don't, it's close to midnight before I finish up.

The fastest I've done an all-grain 10 gallon batch is 9 hours, from start of setup to end of cleanup.

Well, I start before noon, because if I don't, it's close to midnight before I finish up.

The fastest I've done an all-grain 10 gallon batch is 9 hours, from start of setup to end of cleanup.

Wow! I thought my brew day was a long one, but......

Zymurg said:

That must be some intense cleaning and preparation!

I start around 8:30pm once the 3 month and 2.5 year old are in bed. I'm only doing extract now due to the lack of sleep. I dream of brewing all grain watching the sun coming up with a cup of coffee in my hand (I'm an early riser). At least I can dream!

I like to start around 10ish. Gives me the middle of the day to enjoy brewing. Then I have the evening to enjoy the family and then some homebrew after the kids go to bed.

I'm on the night shift for brewing - between the 2yr old, 3mo old and SWMBO, I usually get a late start. Brewed last night from 10:30pm-2:30am. Little groggy this morning - not sure if it was the 5 hours of sleep or the beers I drank while brewing!

Arbor413 said:
I start around 8:30pm once the 3 month and 2.5 year old are in bed. I'm only doing extract now due to the lack of sleep. I dream of brewing all grain watching the sun coming up with a cup of coffee in my hand (I'm an early riser). At least I can dream!

Same here start at around 9 pm once my 2-1/2 year old and 11 month old go to bed.

If I'm starting the mash by 10 am, it's a good day.... Usually it ends up being around 1 or 2pm. Still beats a work day! :drunk:

I don't have a truly set schedule yet, but evenings seems like the most common for me. I also enjoy having some friends over to have some brews while making brew. Really, its kind of like sitting around a bonfire, except in a garage and the bonfire is a kettle. Every once in a while you just gotta get up and stir the wood around to keep the fire going:)

I usually start around 9 am to prep everything. Its always on the weekend. I use a electric stove so I need to heat my water in advance. I like to be done by 1-2pm so I still have the afternoon to do errands.

I voted afternoon, but I actually start the process either the night before (bottle scrubbing) or the same morning. The actual brewing usually happens late morning or early afternoon.
Regards, GF.

Late at night. Once it cools off here i'll start brewing in the afternoon, but i work early in the morning 7 days a week, otherwise (like most of you) that's when i'd be brewing. Love that fresh morning air and the promise of a new day.

Depends on who im brewing with, if solo I'm mashing in around sunup, if with friends or swmbo usually start around 9 am, but have been known to get a random brew bug mid day and just go brew on a whim. 10 gal ag is the norm here.but im not above a 5 gal or even a 1 gal test batch.

If it's a weekend, then I try for before noon.

If it's a weekday, then it's after work starting around 4pm.

I was doing 4PM brews then, a friend was visiting and asked to brew some beer with me. He arrived at 8PM and we were up until 3AM cleaning and transferring to the primary. I was exhausted. Not brewing after 8PM ever again.

As early as possible... it's nice to finish cleaning up the equipment just in time for lunch to be ready.

I light the fire at 8am and start the mash by 8:20. I take my shower,drink lots of coffee, and set up all my gear by the end of the mash. I don't drink when I brew, so I'm finished brewing by noon or 2pm.

My brew schedule is dictated around my 1 year old and wife's work schedule. Morning and it gives me a reason to have a brew before noon.

I usually start my mashes around 6 or so in the evening, let them go overnight in coolers, then finish them up the next morning.

Small 1 gallon batches I brew at 9 pm, my 6-10 gallon batches i like start at 6-7 am on weekends. My favorite session, I set everything out the day before, even put the water in the kettle (biab). Got up a 3 a.m., and sparked the propane. I set a prob thermometer with an alarm, and snoozed next to the kettle on a folding beach type cot until it reached the dough in temp. Everything was done by the time the rest of the house finished breakfast (they are late sleepers but i was still done mid-morning).

Back