What Thermometer to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark1765

Reaction score
I'm trying to collect everything I need for a new brew keggle and have seen people use about everything. My question is I'm building a keggle and I would like to install a thermometer in the side. I have seen people use the 2" all the way to the 6 or 8" thermometers. But I have also seen somewhere, one that you can remove the thermometer from a fitting mounted in the keggle for cleaning. I like that option but can't remember where I saw it, and if they give problems such as leaking. My concern also is that I like to stir the wort when it starts to boil and when adding hops. I know it's probably not going to be as necessary in a keggle but I'm sure I will still do it. If I use a 6 or 8" I know I'm going to hit it and damage it, so I want to hear and possibly see what you guys are using. Also does everyone use a false bottom in there keggle's or just in the mash tun?
Thanks in advance

You can make a stemmed thermometer "removable" using a compression fitting that grips the stem using silicone O-rings instead of a metal ferrule.

As for length, in a kettle the shorter the better. You can find 3" dial gauges with 2 to 3" stems.

Check out brewhardware.com, Bobby has all kinds of fittings and gauges...

Cheers!

You can make a stemmed thermometer "removable" using a compression fitting that grips the stem using silicone O-rings instead of a metal ferrule.

As for length, in a kettle the shorter the better. You can find 3" dial gauges with 2 to 3" stems.

Check out brewhardware.com, Bobby has all kinds of fittings and gauges...

Cheers!

Thank you that is what I was looking for. I have seen them removable in pictures but haven't been able to find the parts to do so

Back