What temp is too hot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brutal

Reaction score
I have a problem. I am fermenting fruit juice and the temp jumped to near 100 degrees.....is the yeast dead?? What is the threshold for yeast.....what is too hot??

brutal said:
I have a problem. I am fermenting fruit juice and the temp jumped to near 100 degrees.....is the yeast dead?? What is the threshold for yeast.....what is too hot??

The temp in your fermenter is near 100?! I think anything over 90 can instantly kill yeast. It's weird, because if the temp drops, it won't kill 'em, just put 'em to sleep until you warm it up again...

NUCC98 said:
The temp in your fermenter is near 100?! I think anything over 90 can instantly kill yeast. It's weird, because if the temp drops, it won't kill 'em, just put 'em to sleep until you warm it up again...

What happened was my heater in my house fried because my basement flooded. So the heater I use to keep my brew temp regulated went into overdrive because everything else around the heater was cold.

brutal said:
What happened was my heater in my house fried because my basement flooded. So the heater I use to keep my brew temp regulated went into overdrive because everything else around the heater was cold.

OK, well....like I said, as long as the temp in the actual fermenter is under 90, I think you should be safe...just wait a day or so. But, if the temp of the wort definitely got that high, I'm almost positive your yeast is dead. I think in that case, you may be able to just pitch another batch, but I'm not 100% sure....

NUCC98 said:
OK, well....like I said, as long as the temp in the actual fermenter is under 90, I think you should be safe...just wait a day or so. But, if the temp of the wort definitely got that high, I'm almost positive your yeast is dead. I think in that case, you may be able to just pitch another batch, but I'm not 100% sure....

Okay thanks for the help!!!!!

make a new starter if you think its dead but add it very slow or you can have a real mess on your hands

Back