What size kettle for 10 gallon brew in a bag batches.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zach Caron

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm trying to make the move to brew in a bag. I currently have a brew stand and mash tun etc but am trying to get rid of some equipment as it takes up to much space and want to make brew day a touch easier. I'm looking to do 10 gallon batches and was thinking of getting the 20 gallon mega pot from northern brewer. Is this going to be an okay size kettle? Or do I really need something bigger? Any advice would be great as I am new to the brew in a bag method. Thanks!!

If you are doing true BIAB you don't need the mash tun. You mash and boil in the same kettle. The 20 gallon kettle sounds like a winner. For 10 gallon batches your grain bills will be on the large side so you might want to look into a hoist system to lift the bag. 20-something pounds of wet grain can get very heavy. Good luck.

Hello,

I'm trying to make the move to brew in a bag. I'm looking to do 10 gallon batches and was thinking of getting the 20 gallon mega pot from northern brewer. Is this going to be an okay size kettle? Or do I really need something bigger? Any advice would be great as I am new to the brew in a bag method. Thanks!!
I use a 15-gallon BIAB kettle to do 10-gallon batches of beer. I can easily do 5% to 6% ABV recipes but anything over that means doing a 5-gallon batch for me.

thanks everyone for the suggestions! I grabbed the 20 gallon mega pot from northern brewer as they were doing 15% of the entire site so I got a good deal!

15 gallon ebiab..two vessel..50l kegmenter..10-12 gallon batches..24lb grain bill...14 gallon full volume..recirculation..3.5-4 HR Brew day

Attachments

• IMG_20180520_181400.jpg
    IMG_20180520_181400.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20180311_163342.jpg
    IMG_20180311_163342.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 141
I use a 15 gallon kettle for 5 gallon batches you made the right move going 20 gallon kettle for the 10 gallon batches. Now you got to get your bag and a pully then it's good times

Back