What size CO2 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guldalian

Reaction score
I am planning on running 4 kegs. I will be force carbing as well. I was thinking I need a 20 lb tank so I'm not refilling it every 3 days. How long do your various size tanks last? Should I get a 20 or smaller? Thanks.

How far do you have to go to get them refilled? I would go with whatever has the right price. I got a 10# that i scored for $30 but I stay on the lookout for another 10 or 20 on Craigslist because I have to go about 30 minutes away for a refill.

I'd definitely do a 20 lb tank. The cost of the tank is more than a 5 or 10, but after that upfront, refills are reasonable.

I have a 4 keg fridge. I started with a 5 lb tank, but it didn't take long for me to trade up to a 20 lb. it's worth the money, for sure.

I have a ten and a five, never run out;) also great for purging kegs and carbing.
Wish I had a 20 for peace of mind.
But then again a 5 is better till you dial in your system an make sure you have no leaks, wouldn't want to empty a 20 pounder:D
To answer your question, in a sealed system 5 pounds lasts a long time,10 kegs easy, never documented it.
Cheers

I use 20# tanks for carbing and serving. I swap them once a year or so. I use 10# tanks for off-road use and 5# tanks for mobile serving with the jockey box.

I usually have 5 beers on tap and one or two conditioning. I brew 10 gallon batches so I use 2 kegs per batch.

I have two 50# tanks and five 20# tanks. I also have 14 taps.

I recommend getting the largest that is reasonable for your space and money constraints.

It's funny u never hear about 2.5lb tanks...have 2 of them and I use 2 kegs and very transportable

It's funny u never hear about 2.5lb tanks...have 2 of them and I use 2 kegs and very transportable

I had a 2.5# tank. It is definitely portable, but what I disliked was that once you attached a regulator, it would tip very easily. I traded mine to another brewer in the club. I sold off all my smaller tanks as I preferred the 20# and 50# sizes. At one point I had over a dozen CO2 tanks, but I didn't like having all the different sizes, I am very happy with what I have now.

I had a 2.5# tank. It is definitely portable, but what I disliked was that once you attached a regulator, it would tip very easily. I traded mine to another brewer in the club. I sold off all my smaller tanks as I preferred the 20# and 50# sizes. At one point I had over a dozen CO2 tanks, but I didn't like having all the different sizes, I am very happy with what I have now.

Yes that ****er has fellen over many times..makes me nuts ..im suprised the cheap regulator took the blows

From kegging for almost 10 years. I've noticed that I get about 1 keg per lb. of CO2. My 20 pounder last roughly 20 kegs. That carbing and serving.

Refill price per pound is much cheaper on a larger tank around here....roughly 20 bucks for a 20 pounder, and like 15 for a 5 pounder....

Best to have more than one tank so you can fill on your schedule, and not the tanks :)

I believe that when you refill a cylinder (either as an exchange or a direct fill) the labor costs more than the actual gas. I got a 10# because that's the largest that would fit in the keezer. My gas supplier is 2 miles away, so refills aren't a big deal. I have not yet seen the need to obtain a backup tank.

I use 2. I have a 5lb "pusher" in the keezer and I use a 20lb as my working CO2 tank. The 5lb only pushes beer in the tap system (4). The 20 does all the work... Purging when kegging, keeping the keg pressurized when cold crashing and the most important, all the forced carbing. The 5lb lasts a long time when it doesn't have to do the hard labor!

Back