What should I do with this bag of milled grain??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawn_kiebawls

Lawncare and Landscaping enthusiast
Reaction score
I know the obvious answer is to BREW! But, I bought and milled some grain back in September but never got the chance to brew until now. The recipe was for a Spiced Pumpkin Dubbel. Since then I have completely changed my mind and no longer want to brew a spiced or a pumpkin brew and am not too fond of Dubbels in general (why I picked this recipe is beyond me, just incase one of you was going to ask. I don't know.) Anyway, the grain bill is as follows:

10lbs Belgian Pils
.5lb Special B
.5lb Aromatic
.5lb Caramel 40
.25 Chocolate malt

It seems to be a fairly straight forward Saison-ish bill but since I just finished a Saison batch I'd like to try something different. Probably not even a true to style beer. Maybe an IPA or pale ale?

I FINALLY got a ferm chamber set up (which is also my keezer so it can't be in there TOO long!) so I'd like to broaden my horizons and be able to ferment something in the cooler Ale temps but I am open to any and all Yeast, Hop and style suggestions. Thanks for the help and my apologies for the long read!

Make a India brown ale with it, it looks like it’s gonna be brown, or amber.
1 ounce to bitter
2 oz for late hop additions
2 oz dry hop
Boom

Amber ale or you could extend it a bit with base and roasted/flakes to make a stout. It is very high in specialty grains(15%) for most (especially dry and light colored) beers such as saisons. Even amber might benefit from some suitable base malt additions.

Make a India brown ale with it, it looks like it’s gonna be brown, or amber.
1 ounce to bitter
2 oz for late hop additions
2 oz dry hop
Boom

India brown sounds wonderful, excellent idea. I'll see what hops I have and find a suitable yeast. Would you leave the grain bill as is or would you recommend any additions? Thanks!

Amber ale or you could extend it a bit with base and roasted/flakes to make a stout. It is very high in specialty grains(15%) for most (especially dry and light colored) beers such as saisons. Even amber might benefit from some suitable base malt additions.

I like the thought of an amber. If I go this route would you suggest a few pounds of 2 row and maybe another half pound of Caramel? Thanks for the help!

I'm still a very new brewer so I'm still quite unsure of exactly what effects different types of grains have on the end product so I very much appreciate any and all help you guys are able/willing to give me! Thanks again!

I'd leave the grain bill alone, sounds tasty to me.
I ran the grain bill in Beersmith and (assuming your chocolate was 350) the SRM is 18.8, that's slightly too dark for an amber, and just dark enough for a brown, so either style would do. Here's what I was thinking:
Screen Shot 2018-02-14 at 9.10.50 AM.png

It looks tasty even if you omitted the dry hopping.
Whatever you decide, let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Back