What pump to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TreeBridge

Reaction score
I have a rotating CIP spray ball that i would like to use to clean my fermentor but I'm not sure what pump would be adequate. The fermentor is a 40 gallon conical. I will also use this pump for transfers and other miscellaneous needs. Would a march 808 or 815 be adequate for this?

I appreciate any recommendation.

i doubt it....those spray balls from what i have seen need some pressure to work properly....you can try it with an 809/815 if you already have one....i have seen a few people use our series 5 pumps and get results but not to the full capacity of the spray ball...you would need to see what kind of flow(gpm) and pressure it needs to operate....

I am in the same boat. I have a CIP ball for my Brewhemoth...but need a pump.

There is a good thread about it here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/brewhemoth-conical-clean-place-cip-systems-299346/

The problem I have is that I don't want to have to worry about rust and oil. So... a cheap pump may be out.

I would like to keep it under $200.00 if possible.

I'm looking at this one right now...trying to find out it's temperature range. If I thought I could do 150ish water... I might try it.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_407161-335-...l=1&currentURL=?Ntt=sprinkler+pump&facetInfo=

I am in the same boat. I have a CIP ball for my Brewhemoth...but need a pump.

There is a good thread about it here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/brewhemoth-conical-clean-place-cip-systems-299346/

The problem I have is that I don't want to have to worry about rust and oil. So... a cheap pump may be out.

I would like to keep it under $200.00 if possible.

I'm looking at this one right now...trying to find out it's temperature range. If I thought I could do 150ish water... I might try it.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_407161-335-UT100USP_0__?productId=4640491&Ntt=sprinkler+pump&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dsprinkler%2Bpump&facetInfo=

That pump is only 10 gallons per minute. It will work with the McMaster plastic spray ball but won't work with the bigger stainless ones. They require around 60 gallons per minute

i just tried using a chugger pump, and it barely turned my ball, so i ordered a 1/2 HP utility pump off e bay for 100 bucks shipped. Ill let u guys know how it goes. Itll be nice to use it for making a kegwasher too.

I bought one of these and it works ok for my 15 gallon conical. The ball spins and the cleaner gets to the sides but not with much force. I am thinking about getting one of these to increase the velocity coming out of the spray ball.

That Harbor freight looks very interesting. Love the stainless. The spray ball I have says that it will work with 15-100PSI but the recommend PSI is 40-60. The pump says that it's maximum pressure is 38PSI. I wonder what real world performance would be. At $121.00 it is very tempting.

That Harbor freight looks very interesting. Love the stainless. The spray ball I have says that it will work with 15-100PSI but the recommend PSI is 40-60. The pump says that it's maximum pressure is 38PSI. I wonder what real world performance would be. At $121.00 it is very tempting.

I am in the process of moving my brew rig from a small room in my basement to a larger room but when I get done with that I am gonna pick up one of these. Harbor freight has a pretty liberal return policy so if it doesn't work out I will just take it back for a refund. Do you have the 1/2" sprayball from brewers hardware? That's the one I have.

Chrisl77 said:
Do you have the 1/2" sprayball from brewers hardware? That's the one I have.
I have the 1" attached to the 4" TC... It's a perfect fit for the Brewhemoth. Looking forward to hearing about your HF pump experience.

So with a cash bonus from work I went to harbor freight and picked up that pump I was looking at. It puts out plenty of psi and gpm to spin the spray ball nice and fast. On there website they say its max psi is 36 but in the manual it says it is 71 psi. I used a 20% off coupon and got it for just over $100 with tax.

I too have been eyeballing the CIP solutions for a Brewhemoth. I don't have one yet, but I'll be getting one this spring in preparation of a wedding I'll be brewing about 45-45 gallons of beer for. I really want to get the CIP solution figured out (at least conceptually) before I get the brewhemoth.

How does the Harbor Freight sprinkler pump work? I know you said a few days ago it spun with force, just curious how it works with a tough krausen ring.

Thanks for the info thus far.

I haven't been able to brew since I got this pump but my old pump was able clean krausen fine and this one is a lot stronger then my old one.

Back