what NOT to do - longish

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

android

Reaction score
well, here's one for ya.

i did my first AG brew today and everything was going smoothly when i went to bring the freshly-boiled wort to the basement for an IC cooling (the only faucet in the house that will accept an adapter to hook to the hose connection on my IC). i make the brilliant decision to go backwards down the stairs with my pot. i intentionally wore old, crappy clothes in case i go some soot on them. my second step in, i get some soot on my pants and the first stair, i panicked and let my left hand slip, the pot of wort spills about a gallon onto my hand, pants, shoes and the stairs. somehow i didn't drop the whole pot and got it back to the garage and kinda freaked the **** out about what to do. somehow i decided upon the shopvac and got most of the wort sucked out of the stairs carpet. secondly, i was relatively successful in getting the soot stain off the two stairs i got it on...

LUCKILY, SWMBO was at a function when the whole thing happened. she had to find out but i'm glad she didn't have to freak out with me.

i was about to scrap the batch but in my panic, i put the lid on the pot and after i got things as clean as i could, i chilled the ~4.5 gallons of wort and pitched my starter. hopefully it will end up a good beer considering all the troubles.

lastly, i'll gladly declare "i'm an idiot" and the following should have been common sense:

don't EVER try to carry/move a pot of wort more than 2 feet from where you boiled it, if that.

hopefully the next AG batch goes better... :drunk:

PS - i forgot to mention i burned the shiznit out of my hand.

lastly, i'll gladly declare "i'm an idiot" and the following should have been common sense:

don't EVER try to carry/move a pot of wort more than 2 feet from where you boiled it, if that.
Common sense is often learned from "common experience". If it's a first time experience, it's reasonable to expect a first time result.

I had experiences my first brew that resulted in some "common sense" lessons. Heck, I'm still a n00b IMHO and have plenty more lessons to learn. It's important to document what happened, identify what needs to be remediated, deliver remediation, and repeat the process with a more satisfactory outcome.

But hey, the important thing is to make some good homebrew. As long as you're doing that, the rest is just details to me. :rockin:

So you burnt your hand, spilled some wort on the carpet, learned some what not to do, but most importantly, you didn't drop the entire pot and ended up with 4.5 gallons of homebrew. :mug:

Thought of loosing all your homebrew make us all sad, but you managed to save it. :rockin:

Could have been worse. as these pictures will show.. from several years back, before the big AG rig....

Bolt fell out of old burner stand:

2186-PentaxDumpJuly2006075.jpg

Which led to:

2186-PentaxDumpJuly2006076.jpg

2186-PentaxDumpJuly2006077.jpg

2186-PentaxDumpJuly2006078.jpg

Could have been worse. as these pictures will show.. from several years back, before the big AG rig....

Which led to:

2186-PentaxDumpJuly2006076.jpg

2186-PentaxDumpJuly2006077.jpg

2186-PentaxDumpJuly2006078.jpg

How SAD. I feel like I watched a slow painful death. The middle picture of the foam line along the gutter was the worst one. At least at the drain, it was just wet, dead, useless liquid; but when it was still foam running down the gutter, I shed a tear for you. :(

I am so sad, I will have to drink another brand new home brew. Who cares if its green a little.

So you burnt your hand, spilled some wort on the carpet, learned some what not to do, but most importantly, you didn't drop the entire pot and ended up with 4.5 gallons of homebrew. :mug:

Thought of loosing all your homebrew make us all sad, but you managed to save it. :rockin:

true dat. i knew you guys would make me feel better. :mug:

sorry for your loss denny.

edit: amazingly, the carpet isn't hard as a rock this morning. SWMBO was happy about that.

Well amazingly I still had about 7 gallons left from a 10g batch. But yeah. it was sad. Almost burnt myself too. Managed to grab the keg as it was fallin over. Almost ended up woth 10g of scalding wort on me though.

Now I use this (outdoors though):

2186-PICT0049.JPG

Good thing for getting beer out of carpet is Oxyclean. Mix some in a sprayer, soak the **** out of it and scrub.

Good thing for getting beer out of carpet is Oxyclean. Mix some in a sprayer, soak the **** out of it and scrub.

that's exactly what i used. got the soot out of the carpet fairly well too.

beautiful sculpture you have there. did you weld that yourself?

You NEED to invest in a fountain pump and build the recirculating setup that find here. I use it and it's fantastic. All you'll need extra is some more 5 gal buckets. I use the outflow of the IC chiller to make hot oxyclean solution for cleaning, and best of all, YOU DON'T NEED TO CARRY BOILING WORT! You can bring the pump and bucket and run an extension cord to where you're brewing.

Yeah i just bought a bilge pump and am doing the recirculating water thing (whith frozen 2 l bottles in the large bucket.

Plus there's snow here, I can just shovel snow into the water bucket.

SSeriously, build an IC. Even if you don't do the recirculating thing.

Back