What is your homebrew to commercial brew consumption ratio?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is you homebrew to commercial brew ratio at home

• I drink nothing but homebrew at home

• I drink some commercial brews, but mostly my homebrew

• It's about half and half

• I drink mostly commercial stuff, but I enjoy my homebrew too

• All commercial. My homebrew stinks so I just brew it for fun and dump it

Results are only viewable after voting.
75% Homebrew / 25% Commercial from January - October..
I tend to pick up more seasonals at the store during the late fall and early winter months. That may change with the kegerator coming on line later this month and the increased number of gift brew boxes I need to ship this year.

About 75% homebrew and 25% commercial

Since we don't have any good LHBS down here I mainly drink commercial beers for the bottles since having them shipped more than doubles the price.

This thread need to be revived....I love necro posting

Ive got so many beers in the fridge that friends have dropped off it’s going to be a problem next week when my beer fridge needs to turn into the Turkey fridge.
It’s sort of fun drinking commercial craft beers at home but i keep wanting to go pull a pint from my keezer

Wow, this is an old one.... It predates when I started homebrewing.

For me it depends... If I have a lot of opportunity to brew, I don't drink much commercial. If not, or I want ideas then I buy more commercial.

Let’s get to the real point of the survey....

Who wants to hunt down the 29 home brewers that drink mostly commercial beer and occasionally drink their own stuff? I say we beat the crap out of them...

Off with their head! Dilly Dilly!!!!

If all is going well, 100% homebrew. Once in a while there is a gap in the pipeline, and is good to try other stuff I guess. Sometimes I get some good ideas drinking other beer, but most of the time it does not taste as good to me as what I make, and the kinds of store bought beer I do like cost too much for daily driver.

So being it was multi-choice. i gave it a I drink all homebrew, and i think it's crap and dump it down the toilet when i'm done with it....i'd have to look up when i last 'bought alcohol', like some sorta sucker...it was beginning of august this year, and it turned out to be phony inbev micro brew, and before that it was feb of last year...$15 this year, $6.50 last year...

It primarily depends if I have homebrew on hand. When the kegs are on full I'd say 80/20 homebrew. I like to experiment with commercial beers for brewing ideas. I have several go to commercial brews I'll drink. Lots of local Indy breweries, Ballast Point Easy Keel, Bells Two-Hearted, Founders... well anything, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, hell I even often have a domestic macro. I believe there is a time and place for every beer. Even Bud Light!

It primarily depends if I have homebrew on hand. When the kegs are on full I'd say 80/20 homebrew. I like to experiment with commercial beers for brewing ideas. I have several go to commercial brews I'll drink. Lots of local Indy breweries, Ballast Point Easy Keel, Bells Two-Hearted, Founders... well anything, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, hell I even often have a domestic macro. I believe there is a time and place for every beer. Even Bud Light!

We need to take this homebrew thing to the level of the nut vegans! your not homebrewer enough! what's this a place for bud light? :mug:

We need to take this homebrew thing to the level of the nut vegans! your not homebrewer enough! what's this a place for bud light? :mug:
I would make a sad radical thinker haha! Hey when I'm cutting grass in the heat of summer, a cold bud light can be quite acceptable!

I would say 50/50. I always try to drink from my kegerator because, well why not. But i am also a sucker for bottle trades and commercial specials. I’m running out of bottles tho so i need to start more home consumption of my backlog.

Right now I would say about 75/25 commercial. My pipeline isn't that strong and I have a bad habit of buying new tasty looking beers I find and I have to supplement with Miller Lite because lets be real for those occasions when you are going to drink 10+ beers if you don't mix in some lite nonsense you'll pay for it dearly. Plus bars obviously.

My homebrew pipeline goes up and down. Sometimes my fridge is packed with homebrew, sometimes it's a little sparse while I'm waiting for another batch to ferment. So when the homebrew inventory is low, I tend to buy more commercial beer; less so when I'm well-stocked with homebrew.

The point is: I always try to keep my beer fridge full. :)

Right now I would say about 75/25 commercial. My pipeline isn't that strong and I have a bad habit of buying new tasty looking beers I find and I have to supplement with Miller Lite because lets be real for those occasions when you are going to drink 10+ beers if you don't mix in some lite nonsense you'll pay for it dearly. Plus bars obviously.

one word "glucoamylase" :mug: or is that two words?

What you want me in the brut ipa train too?! I do want use that again. First try did not go so well.

you know since i got cussed out of the IPA thread. i've coined 'Black Brüt', and 'Smashed Brüt'...

in my opinion anything can be brüt'ish is you put the thought into it! lol

Last edited:
Stop drinking aftershave!

I need to go through my hb hoard. There's some meads in there ready to drink. A few bottles of this and that which should be drank. Got a stout in ferment now.

Almost exclusively homebrew. I drink craft beer out, or bring it to friends' houses. I'll also rarely buy something from a local brewery or when I travel and bring it back.

Almost exclusively homebrew. I drink craft beer out, or bring it to friends' houses. I'll also rarely buy something from a local brewery or when I travel and bring it back.

Commercial beer? You mean research material.

I want to party with these guys...they get me.

I voted "I drink mostly commercial stuff, but I enjoy my homebrew too", but only because I can't currently make enough to change the ratio. The better answer is, "I prefer my home brew to most commercial brews, but since I can't make it fast enough, I'm forced to buy commercial beer..."

Back