What is the correct way to taste liquor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeyman1000

Reaction score
Stopped by a small distillery in Napa yesterday, which I don't normally do. I like a bourbon every now and again but usually skip the hard stuff unless it is mixed in something. Really nice guy doing the tastings (vodka, gin, brandy, some mixed stuff). He had me take in a deep breath, take a small sip and swallow it then breath out slowly. The vodka was first and it was incredibly smooth. Then he told me to try swirling the same vodka then shoot it. I got that horrible hard alcohol taste and punch that I dislike. He said that is why you don't swirl anything over 25% abv. Something to do with the alcohol vapor. Everything else was fantastic as well as long as I did the technique he recommended. Every video I have looked up on tasting hard liquor shows people swirling it and swishing it around in their mouths. Is that correct? I definitely enjoyed it more the way he was advocating.

There is no agreement on this, by the way. I've been to several different distilleries and been told wildly differing things.

Personally, I never swirl ANYTHING except wine. I don't swirl beer. I don't swirl cider. I don't swirl liqueurs. I don't swirl whiskey. I don't swirl absinthe. I don't swirl anything.

Wine does get special treatment, I think.

If we're doing a fancy-schmancy spirits tasting in my own home, I might pour the spirit through my Venturi spirits aerator into the specific glass for that kind of spirit (i.e. a brandy glass or a Glencairn whiskey glass, etc.), then give it the "nose" treatment (or in layman speech, "smell the damn thing"). Then swirl it around in your mouth, experiencing and enjoying the flavor.

So, although I never swirl anything except wine, I do "swirl" it around in my mouth. In fact, I wouldn't trust anyone who said "You shouldn't do that." My question to them would be "Then should you even bother drinking it at all?" Hell, if it's not worth swirling in your mouth, is it even good enough to drink by itself?

I will add that I've never been a fan of drinking vodka on its own, with the exception of types of vodka such as Starka, which is AMAZING on its own.

If you don't know about it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starka

If it's your everyday run-of-the-mill vodka, I generally only drink it mixed with other beverages. Most vodkas are essentially just water and ethanol, anyway.

When tasting the really good stuff it's a good idea, good etiquette, and very classy, to spit rather than drink it, especially if you have 12-18 different liquors to taste. Whether wine or liquor (who cares about drinking beer) it's considered a good thing to enjoy all of the flavors without dulling your palate or your perceptions so that you may so fully enjoy the next sample. Do I? rarely, and only in very serious settings or early in the morning, but I would give it some thought, no matter your technique.

One thing I have found is to drink liquor from a fairly small glass. The alcohol doesn't collect as it does in a large glass, and you enjoy the aroma of the liquor, not the burn of alcohol. I also have SS ice cubes, which work great and don't water down my expensive liquor!

One thing I have found is to drink liquor from a fairly small glass. The alcohol doesn't collect as it does in a large glass, and you enjoy the aroma of the liquor, not the burn of alcohol. I also have SS ice cubes, which work great and don't water down my expensive liquor!

Like red wine, pretty much everyone recommends that you drink your spirits at room temperature, but there are some liqueurs where it is recommended that they are drunk chilled (I've never heard of spirits where this is recommended).

If you do have to drink them chilled, though, it is best to use stone, metal, or some other non-melting substance to prevent them from being diluted with water from melting ice (much like your stainless steel cubes).

I'll add that I personally drink some spirits chilled, but never the expensive stuff as the colder temperatures dull the complex flavors (much like with red wines and certain kinds of beer).

Like red wine, pretty much everyone recommends that you drink your spirits at room temperature, but there are some liqueurs where it is recommended that they are drunk chilled (I've never heard of spirits where this is recommended).

If you do have to drink them chilled, though, it is best to use stone, metal, or some other non-melting substance to prevent them from being diluted with water from melting ice (much like your stainless steel cubes).

I'll add that I personally drink some spirits chilled, but never the expensive stuff as the colder temperatures dull the complex flavors (much like with red wines and certain kinds of beer).

You bring up a good point. My ice cube doesn't chill the alcohol, more like takes the edge off. But I wonder, should I be storing it in my beer cellar? I like red wine at cellar temps, not room temps. I presume liquor should be the same?:rockin:

You bring up a good point. My ice cube doesn't chill the alcohol, more like takes the edge off. But I wonder, should I be storing it in my beer cellar? I like red wine at cellar temps, not room temps. I presume liquor should be the same?:rockin:

Drinking liquor in the 50s and 60s would definitely be better than drinking liquor in the 10s, 20s, and 30s.

To some degree, "room temperature" is kind of a vague term, but it generally means 60s and 70s (some people even define "room temperature" as a very specific temperature such as 68 or 72 degrees). Obviously, if your room is 110 degrees, you are probably not going to enjoy a wine or spirit at "room temperature." But I think the term itself excludes abnormally hot or cold room temperatures. You could just assume an unspoken "comfortable" before "room temperature."

I don't know how cool your beer cellar is, but if it's the same temperature as the typical wine cellar, that would be a bit colder than what most people recommend, but not so cold that you lose much flavor. I think it's definitely worth trying it out and seeing how you like it. At least for the spirits you don't want to be too cold.

Back