What is the best temperature for storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajl

Reaction score
I just converted a 23 cu. ft. chest freezer for storage in my shed. I installed an electronic temperature control that will run the compressor in the summer and the electric defrost heaters in the winter. Year round I am covered. Now I just need some advice on what temps to run. Beers I am storing right now are: Cream Stout, Indian Brown Ale, Nut Brown Ale, American Pale Ale and an English Pale Ale.
I'll be storing both bottles and kegs which will be transferred to the house and refrigerated for consumption :rolleyes:.

Thanks

If you're talking about storing for more than a couple months, I'd recommend going with lower temps. My main beer fridge (bottles) is normally at 38 degrees. Higher temps are okay, but the aging process is accelerated.

---VikeMan

If you're talking about storing for more than a couple months, I'd recommend going with lower temps. My main beer fridge (bottles) is normally at 38 degrees. Higher temps are okay, but the aging process is accelerated.

---VikeMan

It really depends on what kinds of beers you're storing if we're talking about extended periods. I let my bigger beers like barley wines, belgians, and anything imperial sit at 60F in my cellar. Anything I plan on drinking within the next few months will be stored at 45F or around there. I store lagers and a few lighter ales at lower temps, but on average, 45F.

No not at all. That link does seem to talk a lot about corked beer and not crown caps. There was a good pod cast on Brew Strong where they had Charlie Bamforth on. He went into details of how a beer changes at different temps. We are all entitled to our opinions on this site and I was just stating mine, nothing more nothing less RDWHAHB.

No not at all. That link does seem to talk a lot about corked beer and not crown caps. There was a good pod cast on Brew Strong where they had Charlie Bamforth on. He went into details of how a beer changes at different temps. We are all entitled to our opinions on this site and I was just stating mine, nothing more nothing less RDWHAHB.

We certainly are entitled to our opinions. BUT, when a blanket statement statement is thrown out, such as, "the colder the better for long term," that's subject to debate.:mug:

Back