What is it with Sam Adams specialty beers??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruscar

Eat, drink, repeat
Reaction score
Had the Pumpkin Ale on tap the other night. Nice nose of all the right things but just flat body and taste!!
The same went for the Cherry Wheat.

I like regular Sams but, jeez, stayin' away from the foo-foo stuff.

Just my $0.02

I haven't had the pumpkin ale or the cherry yet, but I got a case of the winter lager yesterday, and it's some damn good stuff... I like the SA Boston Lager, Light, and the Octoberfest also... my little food mart here only carries the BL and the Light normally, I have to order the others to get them, but am trying to work my way down the line and try them all... after the Winter Lager is done, I think I'm going to get a case of the Honey Porter...

P.S. Shipyard makes a damn good Pumpkinhead Ale...

edit: nevermind the Shipyard comment, I just realized you are in Cali...

I just got a 12 pack with 2 bottles of 6 different kinds. Of course I liked the Boston Lager, but my favorites in the bunch were the Black Lager and the Honey Porter. I don't think I'll ever drink a Scotch Ale again though.

Bruscar said:
Had the Pumpkin Ale on tap the other night. Nice nose of all the right things but just flat body and taste!!
The same went for the Cherry Wheat.

I like regular Sams but, jeez, stayin' away from the foo-foo stuff.

Just my $0.02

I've found that too often we all serve beer too cold. Old habits are hard to break. My HB Club rarely brings beer in coolers. They let the stuff sit and warm up.

Warmer - about 50F make the fruh-fruh ales more tastey. The CO2 comes out more as well the aroma and flavor.

But you might be right that they may be too flat from the git go.

Try them warmer hopefully you'll find I'm right!!!

:mug:

PearlJamNoCode said:
I just got a 12 pack with 2 bottles of 6 different kinds. Of course I liked the Boston Lager, but my favorites in the bunch were the Black Lager and the Honey Porter. I don't think I'll ever drink a Scotch Ale again though.

I tried a Sam Adams mixed 12 while back. There were some definite winners. The honey porter, as noted, was quite nice. The Scotch Ale was just plain nasty. I'll definitely have to try other Scotch Ales to see if it's the style I don't like or just Sam Adam's interpretation of it.

Chad

Chad said:
The Scotch Ale was just plain nasty. I'll definitely have to try other Scotch Ales to see if it's the style I don't like or just Sam Adam's interpretation of it.
Peat malt does not belong in Scotch ale, I don't know why anyone would use it.

I actaully really love the SA Octoberfest and I like their Brown Ale now and again.

But yeah... add me to the list of people that doesn't have much nice to say about:

Old Fezziwig
Cranberry Lambic
Cherry Wheat
Scotch Ale
Holiday Porter
Black Lager
White Ale

That Winter variety pack with the Winter Lager along with the Fizziwig, Holiday Porter and Cranberry Lambic is something I'll never buy again.

I don't think I've ever bothered to try thier Bock or Honey Porter.

I've had the honey porter and I liked it, but I like malty beers if I'm only drinking a couple.

Many of those are one at a time type of beers. I've had almost all of them and I find them OK, but I'm not crazy about them. These beers are easy to brew. Any homebrew of these styles are so much better.

Its not unusual to find myself wanting one of these at 9-10PM and opt for a good malty beer to end the evening with when it cool outside.

They are the type of Beers to have on the lazy-boy next to the fire. My dog at the foot.

:mug:

jvh261 said:
I actaully really love the SA Octoberfest and I like their Brown Ale now and again.

But yeah... add me to the list of people that doesn't have much nice to say about:

Old Fezziwig
Cranberry Lambic
Cherry Wheat
Scotch Ale
Holiday Porter
Black Lager
White Ale

That Winter variety pack with the Winter Lager along with the Fizziwig, Holiday Porter and Cranberry Lambic is something I'll never buy again.

I don't think I've ever bothered to try thier Bock or Honey Porter.

I actually bought the Winter Pack last weekend and I quite liked it. It was slightly different though, it had:

Boston Lager
Winter Lager
Cranberry Lambic
Holiday Porter
Old Fezziwig
Cream Stout

I hadn't tried any of the last 4 varieties until then. I was quite impressed with all of them except for Cranberry Lambic. That was horrible.

Why the SA hate?

Granted they're not DFH or Great Divide or Russian River or Bell's or <insert brewery name here>, but they're one hell of a huge step ahead of BMC in the quality beer department.

Their beers aren't as good as some others that I've had for sure, but if I need to buy beer (well I never need to buy beer, so let me rephrase - when I WANT to buy beer), I know that I can pickup something decent just about anywhere thanks to SA.

SA brews that I'll gladly drink anytime:

Octoberfest
Double Bock
Cream Stout
Black Lager
Brown Ale

Will work in a pinch:

Pale Ale
Hefe
Summer Ale
White Ale
Winter Lager
Honey Porter
Boston Lager
Boston Ale
Holiday Porter
Old Fezziwig

I don't much care for these, but they're still better then BMC:

Cherry Wheat
Cranberry Lambic
SA Light

I've never had these SA brews:

Scotch Ale

The Cherry Wheat, I hated.

I hate that they call the Cranberry Lambic a lambic, when, in fact, it is not a lambic.

I'll still drink most Sammy (at least once I get my foot out of my mouth... it's crammed in there pretty good... :D)

+1 on the Scotch Ale being nasty.

I do have to say though, I sent Sammy a lot of money this summer for his Summer Ale, and I really enjoy the Winter Lager.:drunk:

I had a triple bock once, it was the worst form of beverage I've ever tasted.

ohiobrewtus said:
Why the SA hate?
It's not hate...at least not like we spewed the other day. I, too, suffered from quite the case of FIMS (foot-in-mouth-syndrome). It's simply an observation that SA's specialty beers are really quite unimpressive. An observation with which I tend to wholeheartedly agree.

SA beers I like:
Summer Ale

SA beers I can stand (in the order I prefer them):
Oktoberfest (but what a poor Märzen)
Black Lager (a watery excuse for Schwarzbier)
Boston Lager
Old Fezziwig

SA beers I really dislike:
Brown Ale (watery yuck)
Cranberry Lambic (not a lambic...not even close)
Winter Lager (couldn't even make it through 12 oz)
Cherry Wheat (cough syrup)

I do appreciate that SA has grown as a company and supports the little guy, all the way down to the homebrewer. However, I find most of their beer a bit watery and flavorless, and I think that's a sellout to the BMC crowd. And come on, ya gotta at least chuckle a little at the "reckless amount of hops" advertising...

I really haven't been overly impressed with many of their beers. My favorite is the Boston Lager. Summer Ale is also decent on tap. The Octoberfest was good last year, but either my tastes changed or it's not as good this year. Everything else I've tried is average at best.

The Honey Porter is the best IMO. I couldn't even finish the Cranberry Lambic. It didn't even resemble any kind of beer I have ever had. Also IMHO the cherry wheat reminds me of Luden's Cough Drops, (boo...).

The SA Oktoberfest seems to vary by year. This year I thought was pretty good and has less of the finishing hop flavor they usually add that throws it out of style. Compared up against some actual Bavarian Oktoberfests it isn't quite as good, but it sure beat the Hofbrau this year. Man that stuff was weak and watery in the bottled version.

What Yuri said. Don't hate SA. Like the Lager and the Summer. Just an observation on the specialty brews. YMMV

I would have to agree with just about everyone else. Boston Lager and Summer Ale are probably their best bets. I've found that finding a good Cherry Wheat is tough, but I've loved it a few times and hated it most times.

I've had some Boston Lager bottles that were bland, and some that were slightly better than BMC. On tap, it's been hit or miss too. Usually it's just that "OK, but not worth a premium price" kind of thing. Recently I was stuck in an airport somewhere, and the only non-BMC beers they had were Heineken and SA Boston Lager. So I went for the Boston Lager (draft) and it must have been a perfectly fresh keg from an exceptionally good batch. The hops were done just right. Just bitter enough to have a nice bite and balance the malt flavors, a nice "natural" tasting hop flavor throughout, and plenty of citrus-y, floral hop aroma. It was enough to make me think, "Gee, I should reconsider my opinions on SA products." Then I was drinking at my FIL's house a couple weeks later (he always has a variety of SA beers in the fridge) and I remembered why I don't like SA much. Just about everything seemed like it was overly sweet and/or under-hopped. And for some reason, sometimes the sweetness doesn't even taste malty--it tastes sugary and artificial.

I can't believe so many of you really expect high quality micro's from SA!?! I mean they have not done anything creative since the triple bock and even that is questionable. They do a lot for the industry and give home brewers a lot of props and I love them for that, but come on they about as micro as a 747 jumbo jet! SA is good "all you can get beer" and that is about it. if a bar has three buds two coors and a sam I'm all over it but I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it.

I wouldn't use the word "micro" as an indicator of quality. Sure there's nothing exciting about BMC beers but there are plenty of European brands that are far from "micro" and they turn out awesome beers.

SixFoFalcon said:
I wouldn't use the word "micro" as an indicator of quality. Sure there's nothing exciting about BMC beers but there are plenty of European brands that are far from "micro" and they turn out awesome beers.

Similarly, there are a few micros out there that are nothing special.

I really like SA as a company and would like to add my props for encouraging the HB community.

I too have found that the Scotch Ale was pretty unpleasant to my tastes. Instead of spending the 5-10 bucks for another micro, I thought I'd check out what Sam Adams' tastes like. If that's what scotch ale is supposed to taste like, then it's just not my style. I'm open to trying others but it would have to be vouched for pretty strongly first.

I like the boston lager and the boston ale. I am a huge, huge, fan of the white ale don't know why just like it alot. I don't know if my tastes have changed or something but last year I loved their oktoberfest and this year I was like meh!
I do agree that as of late their beer seems to taste a bit watery.

I have a friend that used to work for SA. He would bring me cases of beer (great friend to have), so I got to try a lot of their beers. Honestly, though, I'm not a big fan of their stuff. The Boston ale is ok. Other than that, I wouldn't go out of my way to buy them. They are all decent, but not impressive. The only one I'll buy is the Light and only if the bar does't have something else interesting to try. I like the company and they make good beer, but I just haven't found anything they make that makes me want to go out and buy it. I think my friend pointed it out perfectly to me. SA brews their beer in a very classical German way. I like American micros. There isn't much in common between the two.

Sam Adams light is an awesome beer- BL is good as well.

Havent really been able to try others. What the hell is Old Fezziwig?

Their Black Lager is ok, I've had better for the same price, I forget the name..I'd recognize the packing though..

I like their Oktoberfest and their Winter Ale.. I pour it cold, and let it settle for 5-10 minutes on the counter. Considering the temps down here it gets pretty 'warm' per se quickly.. Taste great and decent fizz.. I'm not big on fizz..

I think BM introduced me to the double pour, been doing it for the last few days.. Even the case of Steel Reserve I grabbed has been better than usual..not that its good or anything but 4.99 for a 12 pack.. Most of my friends drink that easier than the other 'foo-foo' beers I get..better for me.

The other day I got pissed off someone opened a Hefe and drank it from the bottle.. Half way through he says "this taste like sweet ****"..put it down and left it..wtf!? How can you be so crude to such a delectable nectar? Uncultured swine.

I actually look forward to getting this each year specifically for the Old Fezziwig. It's a decent Winter Warmer. Not the same as Sam Smiths, but good nonetheless. I used to really like their Scotch Ale, too, peat malt and all. But I haven't had it in years.

This year I'm looking forward to getting their Cream Stout b/c it has always been a favorite and it isn't easy to find. Never had the Honey Porter. Sounds like a stripper's name. Last year I had the Holiday Porter and it was undrinkable due to diacetyl.

I liked their winter and october fest. I have 4 bottles of their hefe still, and it's not very good. It tastes flat as well.

Overall, I don't mind the Holiday pack. The cream stout, holiday porter, old fuzzynuts and winter ale aren't bad beers. Much like everyone else though, I don't care for the Lambic, but I don't like Lambics in the first place.

The cherry wheat is one of only two beers that I will flat out refuse to drink. The first and last time I had it, it tasted like cherry cough syrup. It had a very medicinal and artificial flavor to it. It was so bad, I wrote Sam Adams customer service to complain.

I am pretty much done with Sam Adams at this point. Occasionally they still make a good beer and I did buy a bottle of the 07 Utopias, but I have not been real thrilled with any of their seasonals in a long time. Maybe it is because I have lots of better options to choose from where I live, but they just don't do it for me anymore.

TheJadedDog said:
I am pretty much done with Sam Adams at this point. Occasionally they still make a good beer and I did buy a bottle of the 07 Utopias, but I have not been real thrilled with any of their seasonals in a long time. Maybe it is because I have lots of better options to choose from where I live, but they just don't do it for me anymore.

I like the Octoberfest, but I can see what you are saying, now knowing I have more to choose from, I def go for something a bit more flavorful.

the_bird said:
I hate that they call the Cranberry Lambic a lambic, when, in fact, it is not a lambic.

That's a big pet peeve of mine. You hear people talk about 'brewing a Lambic', when I say Hogwash. About the only person on here that I saw with a real go at it was Janx, iirc.

I am not even sure outside of Belgium how many full scale breweries have even attempted a true spontaneous ferment. (And of course there's the issue about the localized microflora over there...but I have to disagree with that. They may have a special strain, but I believe there are other areas of the world capable of producing similar ferments).

My personal feeling on Sam Adams, is that they used to be much better before they became popular.

Am I the only person that likes the SA Cherry Wheat? I won't drink more than one because they're too sweet, but I do enjoy one every now and then. I think the black lager is pretty decent too.

DEAR GODD!!! CRANBERRY>>>>WHATEVER THE F IT IS!!!!!BLEEEEEEEEEEEEACHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

ARGH.....cough medicine is better......give me some robitussin to wash this sick a$$ stuff out of my mouth!!!!!!!!

rdwj said:
Am I the only person that likes the SA Cherry Wheat? I won't drink more than one because they're too sweet, but I do enjoy one every now and then. I think the black lager is pretty decent too.

Nope, I'm there with you. CW is best enjoyed in small quantities when it's hot outside. Quite good as a lawn mower beer, actually. Is is definitely not a comfort beer.

That said, I will admit to being a little disappointed that the cherry is so obviously artificial cherry like one might find in a sno-cone.

As for the others, I like Boston Lager and Summer Ale and dislike cranberry lambic

Off topic: Tried accessing their website lately? No go if you are under 21, or over 100... WTF?

I like their seasonals (summer, winter and octoberfest) beers. The only time I ever go for a regular sam is if it is that or BMC. I kinda like the fezziwig as well...I think the Cherry Wheat had its place when it first came out, b/c it was so new to the mass market. I remember drinking it and thinking it was pretty good. But lately, I'd have to agree with the forum members that it tastes like cough syrup now...I thought the cranberry lambic was going to be worse than it was. It was drinkable, not an everyday beer by any stretch.

Latest posts

Back