What is a good hydrometer to buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbos17

Reaction score
I am new to cider making and would like to buy a decent hydrometer without breaking the bank? Thanks for the input!

I'd spend the extra 6-7 $ and also get what is called a finishing hydrometer. Which is much more accurate from 1020-990

I'd spend the extra 6-7 $ and also get what is called a finishing hydrometer. Which is much more accurate from 1020-990

Does it still measure 1.020-1.120? Or do you need two hydro meters?

Does it still measure 1.020-1.120? Or do you need two hydro meters?

You need 2. It measures from 990 to 1020. So you can see with greater precision when things are finishing. I also find that the regular hydrometer is way off when it gets down into this range, for cider this is a critical tool. Let's you know exactly how much sugar you still have for carbonation purposes, avoiding bottle bombs, etc.

You need 2. It measures from 990 to 1020. So you can see with greater precision when things are finishing. I also find that the regular hydrometer is way off when it gets down into this range, for cider this is a critical tool. Let's you know exactly how much sugar you still have for carbonation purposes, avoiding bottle bombs, etc.

2 I have never heard of this? I know pros in this field who hardly use one and only use one.

Do you need a second hydrometer?,

Is accuracy important? Are measurements necessary?

It's all up to you and it all depends on what you wish to accomplish.

Personally, knowing how much sugar is left helps me determine to rack, stabilize, bottle, etc. so for my requirements this is important.

Get the cheapest one you can find. You're gonna break at least a half dozen in your first year so don't over think it

Do you need a second hydrometer?,

Is accuracy important? Are measurements necessary?

It's all up to you and it all depends on what you wish to accomplish.

Personally, knowing how much sugar is left helps me determine to rack, stabilize, bottle, etc. so for my requirements this is important.

I am starting out so to have things fined tuned as you do is unnecessary. Eventually I will get there, but two is overkill along with the more advanced one. Time shall tell!

What on earth do you do to yours? Lol. I've had mine for years.

Me too, but I have customers come in every day who have broken their hydrometers in lots of creative ways. I'm thinking about offering them in 6 packs now

Back