What if you change your mind after your wine is stabilized?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DNisich

Reaction score
We did our first wine kit recently. Because it was the first we wanted to do something easy and cheap so we selected an Island Mist kit - Strawberry White Merlot. It is all finished and in the bottles now.

The wine is waaay too sweet. If I had known that it would turn out this sweet and this low alchohol, I would have ignored the instruction to add the fruit pack and then stabilize the wine right away at that gravity. I would have let it ferment back out pretty close to dryness.

So, here's the question: Could I uncork the bottles, pour the wine back into a carboy, pitch some yeast and ferment this out? Or, does the stabilizer make it impossible to restart fermentation?

If the stabilizer told you what was inside the packet, post that info here.
I think if it was sorbate, you're probably out of luck.
There are a few posters on here that have done several of the Island Mist kits, someone will know the answer to your question, so hold off on opening any bottles for now.

Those island mist kits are for wine-cooler type product, and I've heard the whites are much sweeter than the reds. In about the same price range you can get a Winexpert Vintner's Reserve kit - pick a variety you might like - and makes about 30 wine bottles worth. Next time...

Lou's right- once you stabilize, you're pretty much out of luck trying to change it. The stabilizer contains potasium sorbate which inhibits yeast reproduction. All you would do now if you opened it and mixed it up would be to oxidize the wine. It won't referment.

don't bother with the red kits either IMHO. If you care for sweet wine cooler type beverage then I'm sure its good. I don't know, I made it for a friend so I'll see what she thinks of it. Personally don't think I could drink it, its just too darn sweet.

Well, I guess I'm hosed on this one. It was definitely sorbate in the stabilizer pack. Thanks for letting me know.

Back