What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D529D633-6450-4C02-A967-1D2DF6A3C34B.jpeg
Brewed a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale Clone.

Yesterday ramped up the temperature on the Brut from 62 to 66 because first test had it at 1.020, and yeast were starting to settle out; glad I did, they woke up again and seem to be chowing down. Today will keg up the Brown Something so it's ready to bottle later this week. And planning on brewing another lager next weekend that can just sit in the ferment fridge while we're on vacation. Wonder if I can convince our neighbor/housesitter to send me pics every day?

Dropped off my entry for a homebrew competition. Since the drop off was at my lhbs, I got the ingredients for my next 3 beers. Got a lot of gift cards for the place for Christmas, so didn't spend a penny of "real" money.

I should have said not a penny of "my money"...but even that would be wrong since one of the gift certificates was from my wife, lol...
That's what I'm saying! Me too! My wifey gets me alot of my equipment by way of gift cards and presents! It's "their" money but it's all good!!! Unless of course they get the money from us to buy the gift card! Kinda comes full circle!! [emoji23]

Found out why I lost an entire two and a half pound tank of CO2 in one day . Note to self, replace CO2 poppets on a refurbished keg.. duhView attachment 613100

I’ve received and bought many used kegs. I’ve learned over the years to clean them myself, even if they look clean and to replace all of the gaskets. [emoji6]

I brewed an adapted all-grain version of John Palmer's Port O'Palmer. I also experimented with dumping an entire 1.2 liter starter into the fermenter instead of decanting. (The brulosophy xbeeriment says it doesn't make a difference, I didn't feel like waiting around, and I wanted to see if this would work for future benefit.)

Cleaned one of my beer lines in my kegerator. Used beer line cleaner, then rinse, then an acid beer stone remover, then rinse, and then Sani Clean. After that I tapped a keg of my Chocolate Milk Stout, and I blew my friends mind when he tasted it. He said it was better than the keg of a similar stout he bought from a local brewery!

John

Received my thermowell today for the 4 gallon Anvil. Been reading a lot of bad reviews about the silicone bung it comes with, just like the Anvil silicone bung. Guess I will take some of my extra #7 rubber bungs and drill a second hole for the thermowell. Don't relish coming back to check on a fermentation and finding the silicone bung floating in the krausen and adding God knows what kind of evil beer destroying bacteria!

Yesterday bought the ingredients for a Centennial Blonde, subbing in Maris Otter for the Pale Malt. Hoping to get around to bottling some of the beers and mead that have been on lees, making space for the new batch. Last brew session was New Year's Day, so I'm jonesing.

Added 3oz Chinook (most of, some spilled) to my Brut (not really) IPA. Gravity only at 1.010, tempted to add some more amylase but it tastes dry enough now. Second dry hop, hope to keg this Saturday after bowling tournament. And gazed in wonder at my latest WF lager that dropped its krausen only 4 days in. And very reluctantly took my last Cf lager off tap so I'll have enough to bottle for a competition, damn that beer is good and I am half tempted to say eff it and save it for myself...but I want the scores.

Camco EVO Water Filter.

$33 at Walmart

3 Stage Carbon-KDF-5 Micron Filter, removes Odor, Bad taste, Sediment, Chlorine, and Bacteria.

Replacement filters are $10 and each filter will yield 100 gallons of water.

Now I can make all the clean water I need, when I need it.
View attachment 611391

Really only 100 gallons? that's around 10 5 gallon brews, I have that same one and have been using it for around 200 gallons maybe (?) I'll check my filter condition and order a new one soon.

Really only 100 gallons? that's around 10 5 gallon brews, I have that same one and have been using it for around 200 gallons maybe (?) I'll check my filter condition and order a new one soon.
Yeah, not sure, that's just what the manufacturer states.
Even at 100 gallons, its still damn affordable.

Back