What hop to add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RosewaterFoundation

Reaction score
Alright, I recently brewed an IPA that turned out really great. That said, I find the hop profile to be "missing" something. I'm thinking it needs more pine note or something to boost/compliment the hops already present. The hop addition looks like this:

Citra (bitter)

Citra
Amarillo (flavor)

Centennial
Amarillo (aroma)

Centennial
Amarillo (dry hop)

I'm not listing amounts or the rest of the recipe because what I am after is layering the hops flavors present not the level of bitterness, etc...

Anyway, I'm thinking of adding Magnum (switching out for bittering addition?) or, perhaps, Calypso (just because). They both have lower myrcene levels, which I find a benefit. If this were your potential hop profile, what would you add? Or should I just adjust the additions I already have?

For a fuller, richer hop profile, I prefer to use low alpha hops in higher amounts. So maybe instead of centennial and Amarillo for aroma, you use spalt or tettnang but double the amount.

I am a n00b, but just went through the same thing. I haven't tried Citra yet, but Amarillo and Cenntennial are what I would call "top note". I tried a bunch of commercial brews to find the note that I wanted (like you, that piney/dank note) and found that it was in beers that contained Chinook, Simcoe, and Columbus. My experiment isn't complete, but I have brewed one IPA with Columbus, and luckily I was able to score some Simcoe last week, so I'll be making something with that (and Cenntennial probably) soon. Chinook will have to wait until next order, but is on my "to play with" list (love Arrogant Bastard).

For a fuller, richer hop profile, I prefer to use low alpha hops in higher amounts. So maybe instead of centennial and Amarillo for aroma, you use spalt or tettnang but double the amount.

This is a really cool idea and something that I have thought about only a small amount. I've never used Tettnang, but I do work with a woman who lived in Germany where they grew it. Still, description from your own experiences with it?

Citra seems like a hop that would be easy to overdo with mixed results. I have thought of tossing it for more Amarillo, which, to me, seems to be great all around.

Chinook is also a hop I was thinking about throwing in. I am not really a fan of Simcoe, which I know is a small blasphemy. I like the grapefruit flavor somewhat but not THAT much.

Back