What glue to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kev211

Reaction score
Im going to be starting a new keezer build with a small collar (probably in the range of 2x4's as I dont need a ton of height). I know from looking at threads here that Ill need to remove the gasket/seal from the chest freezer base and mount it to the top of the collar, but what does everyone use to adhere the collar to the freezer? I dont want to nail or screw into the base in fear that Ill hit a cooling line, but the collar needs to be able to support the weight of the lid when its hinged open. So tell me... Whats the best glue to use?

Thanks!

Lowes sells a caulk called f-26...it's about the strongest glue I've used

Wood worker here:D....best solution. Using 1.5" wide lumber (i.e 2x4,2x6 etc). Size your collar to stick proud of the surface of your keezer by 3/4" all the way around. Then cut a 3/4" rabbet all along the inside bottom edge of the collar. The rabbit only needs to be an inch deep. Not only does this give you a L shaped joint where your collar meets the keezer walls, but it gives more of a joint surface to hold caulk. Kind of like a sock sliding over a foot;)

Wood worker here:D....best solution. Using 1.5" wide lumber (i.e 2x4,2x6 etc). Size your collar to stick proud of the surface of your keezer by 3/4" all the way around. Then cut a 3/4" rabbet all along the inside bottom edge of the collar. The rabbit only needs to be an inch deep. Not only does this give you a L shaped joint where your collar meets the keezer walls, but it gives more of a joint surface to hold caulk. Kind of like a sock sliding over a foot;)

Oh that makes sense. Only "issue" I have with that is that I was trying to keep the collar flush with the face of the keezer and by doing the rabbet I end up with a 3/4" projection. not the end of the world, but isnt the exact look Im going for. May still end up doing this method though since I usually prefer overbuilding rather than the alternative

I attached my collar to the lid. Doing that I could just attach it with some small angle brackets and screws. Then just some caulk to seal it. I bought new, stick on, gaskets.

Back