What do you use to scrub your pots?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don_bran321

Reaction score
I was just curious what tool everyone uses to scrub their pots?

I have used brand new sponges but I that is becoming costly. I can't bring myself to use them a second time.

For hot side equipment, you can use the same sponge until it falls apart.
There is absolutely no problem with that.

Exactly how much scrubbing are you doing?
You may consider using a hot PBW/Oxiclean solution +/- followed by a citric acid wash. Barkeeper's Friend is also great for stainless.

I mostly rinse. Immediately. One of those safe for nonstick pan nylon scrub side sponge. I do not try to remove scale and restore pot to just-purchased shine. I just get the gunk off. I may have to go after beer scale someday but it's hardly a problem at this point.

Sweet. Thanks for the responce. I guess I wont worry so much about using a sponge.

I also use a kitchen sponge with the scrubby side that is safe for non-stick cookware, and plenty of hot PBW. I do this with both the BK and Fermenter. Both are SS and that scrubby pad wont hurt the surface.

I have a scrub thingy that is a brush on one side and a sponge on the other. I use it to gently scrub most any brewing related thing I'm cleaning (with a mixture of hot water, oxy clean, and TSP). Then I put it away to dry. Repeat. Never had an infection.

Last edited:
I use a non-scratch blue scotch-brite pad, got a pack of em. I let PBW do all the heavy lifting and just hit the spots I need to lightly with the pad.
IMG_4883.JPG

Edit: I also just rinse the pad when I’m done and reuse it until it barely exists.

Latest posts

Back