What do you do with all your beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterblaster

Reaction score
I have 3 gallons going to bottle in 2 weeks and I am bottling pumpkin wine tonight so I can start 6 gallons of American pale ale this weekend. Drinking and giving it away I think I am going to have a surplus.

I often find I brew faster than I drink but have never had a problem finding people to help me clear some space. :)

No such thing as surplus! I bet some of those bottled and kept for a while will be even better after a time.

Haha. I'm usually trying to fight my friends off of my 5 gal batches hoping to make it last until the next one is ready. Maybe we should trade friends :)

I brew much much faster than I can drink. I end up dumping batches I find less desirable, as I am not going to waste my time on drinking sub standard brews. I give away about half, enjoying the feedback and gratitude from friends and family.

I believe in recycling all of my brews. Whatever my liver and kidneys are not fully capable of ansorbing I let the waste water treatment plant turn back into water so that I may brew more beer.

I like to think of the whole process as a perpetual motion machine.

...I end up dumping batches I find less desirable....

Are you serious?
At least give them away to people who don't mind, or actually like "substandard beer," or make some homeless guys happy with it. I bet you've never thought of the smiles that generates.

I can't dump them in good conscience. Even on my mediocre wines when people ask I always say "It'll get you drunk."

Sharing seems like the best route. I just want to make a good product before I let people know... It's also hard to convince a redneck to put down his Budweiser for a real beer.

masterblaster said:
It's also hard to convince a redneck to put down his Budweiser for a real beer.

I know lots of rednecks and never have a hard time getting them to put down the Bud for a homebrew. The trouble comes when trying to convince them to stop picking it up to begin with.

Are you serious?

You're damn right I'm serious. I'm not going to give away beer I wouldn't drink myself. I drink a few over the course of a couple months, and if they don't improve, down the drain they go. The bottle space and lessons learned from off-flavors are much more valuable than the buzz received from my lesser attempts at homebrewing.

I have started taking a keg to work with me. It help me get through them faster allowing me to brew more often.

urbanmyth said:
You're damn right I'm serious. I'm not going to give away beer I wouldn't drink myself. I drink a few over the course of a couple months, and if they don't improve, down the drain they go. The bottle space and lessons learned from off-flavors are much more valuable than the buzz received from my lesser attempts at homebrewing.

Do you brew that many substandard beers?

I brew about 10 gals a month. I drink them and let friends drink them when they come over. I uses to bring it to parties or friends houses but I find it a little more trouble than its worth and usually end up losing a lot bottles that way. I have 1 keg and the bottle space equivalent to about 130 12 oz bottles. And I generally have drink enough to have cleared up space for a new batch just in time for that new batch to be bottled (and if I don't I run out buy a new case of bombers!)

sloanfamilydsm said:
I believe in recycling all of my brews. Whatever my liver and kidneys are not fully capable of ansorbing I let the waste water treatment plant turn back into water so that I may brew more beer.

I like to think of the whole process as a perpetual motion machine.

Could not have said it better myself!

I have started taking a keg to work with me. It help me get through them faster allowing me to brew more often.

Um, yeah, bringing a keg to work with me would help me get through the day, err I mean keg quicker as well. :drunk: Seriously though I try to brew a 5gal batch every month and typically have 15gal going or ready at any one point...I consider that the minimum for personal consumption. If I brewed for friends I would need to triple my output.

Tupperwolf said:
I hoard it, and drink it all myself. If anyone asks me about it or comes near my supply I hiss and utter a Gollum-like "My Precious!"

Haha this is me. May even throw in "they stoles it from us" when I give one to a buddy.

I gave a bunch of my last batch away. It was a mixture of the fact that I was proud of the way it turned out and I had promised some of the previous to more friends than I should have.

The big problem was that I haven't recovered many of the bottles, because most of them were given as thank yous to friends when I stayed at their houses in other cities.

I've started up a better pipeline (got 2 cases in 3rd week of conditioning, and 5 gallons in Fermenter for 2nd week), so this mini-lull I'm in hopefully won't last too long.

Thegreatestgray said:
Where do you work and how do I apply

I'm in the Air Force, and we only drink at the end of the day. I'm sure there is a recruiter around somewhere if you really want to join

I'm in the Air Force, and we only drink at the end of the day. I'm sure there is a recruiter around somewhere if you really want to join

Sounds dubious. My OIC would have my ass in a moment if I brought a keg to work. And he loves beer.

Please post your office symbol for... errr... verification purposes.

Little chance of that, but our sq has a bar with a kegerator so it has to be legit.

Lucky man. Doesn't sound very legit, but still lucky.

My CC hands out 15's for underage drinking, when he's feeling generous. Kid in my workcenter has a DOS for self-reporting underage drinking (didn't get caught) and coming into work late.

Not a snowball's chance in hell he'd let unsecured alcohol in the building, let alone a kegerator.

Well we don't have any underage people in our sq so that helps. And our whole base has the zero tolerance so people have to be smart because the cops are out to get everyone

I didn't like my first brew. Too bitter. I've been giving it to my brothers in law and dad, since they seem to like it. I'm down to less than a sixer now, so I'm about to buy the stuff to brew another batch. Cash has been tight, so it'll probably be awhile.

My last beer, a Scottish Ale that I damn near infected and overprimed, I drank it all by myself in short time period because of I had a bottle bomb. It was good stuff, but not my favorite.

I try to give at least 1/4 of my batches away everytime (except for the Scottish.. just wasn't happening!).

I have been saving 3 sixpacks of each batch I brew. I just brewed my sixth batch. After this last one is bottled and ready to go, I will have 18 sixpacks with 6 different beers to give as gifts for friends as sample packs. I drink the rest.

I have been saving 3 sixpacks of each batch I brew. I just brewed my sixth batch. After this last one is bottled and ready to go, I will have 18 sixpacks with 6 different beers to give as gifts for friends as sample packs. I drink the rest.

I like this idea

My siblings are scattered to the four winds,as are all my friends. The only time I see or here from them is on facebook. They used to come & party with my friends when we were young,leaving me to wonder where the F everbody is. F'BOMB all of them. They ain't gettin none of it!
But yesterday,cooperbrew came over to pick up some 5 12 packs of extra bottles I keep putting aside for folks to get when they need'em/their noobs,etc. I then realised I forgot to put a 12'r of the dark lager in the fridge last Friday for this weekend for myself. They'd have been pretty decent by yesterday afternoon. I feel really bad about that,what with him drivin straight over after work too. Makes me wonder if I've been without friends & family for a bit too long,forgetin my manners.

Latest posts

Back