What do you call the beverage when you add a portion of wine to a l much larger quant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teamcoaster

Reaction score
I guess the subject tells most of the story.

The rest of the story:

About 8 months age, I brewed a dark Belgian strong ale similar to The recipes posted by saq and CSI

I screwed up my volumes and wound up with somewhat tasty but thin, i.e., no depth of flavor, dark Belgian ale.

I waited for months for the flavor to develop No avail

A week ago, finding myself with an empty tap, I put the 'bottled conditioned' can in the keezer and gave it some gas. 18 hours of 40psi later, the beer was still somewhat tasty but lacking any depth

After dinner on Tuesday, I poured myself about 3/4 inch of our dinner wine into my glass. Walked over to the keezer and topped off the glass with my DBSA.

It looked great. 1 inch or so of a nice brownish red head that settled down to half an inch in about a minute. I quaffed. Then again. MMMMMN. that's not bad. Better. Far better.

Two days later I try again PFG. Now, I'm wondering how much to add to my keg. About 3.5 gallons of beer. What will one 750 ml bottle of red wine do?

I decided to add about a pint of 12.8 % red to my keg. It's pretty tasty. Far better than what was in the keg. Before there was no middle, no depth, no complexity. There is something now. I don't know where it will end.

So, back to the question.

What do I call this drink? It definitely not wine. It's a given that it's "beer" but how do we label it generically?

Sounds like a "fruit beer" if you were to put it in competition. If you're not entering it, who cares? I'm not aware of a beer-wine hybrid proper name like there is for a mead-beer hybrid (braggot). But even then, a braggot is predominantly a mead with barley, not a beer with honey. At the end of the day, you have a beer with wine added.

Latest posts

Back