what do i do about beer in airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adam_d_j

Reaction score
I came home from work and my krausen was foaming up into my airlock. I took the lid off and it subsided a bit, but im sure it will probably happen again. I work 10 hour shifts and can't babysit my beer tommorow or the day after. Could I scoop the krausen out or does it contain yeast that I would need? What do I do? This smells absolutely delicious by the way.

ForumRunner_20120106_203339.jpg

ForumRunner_20120106_203355.jpg

I came home from work and my krausen was foaming up into my airlock. I took the lid off and it subsided a bit, but im sure it will probably happen again. I work 10 hour shifts and can't babysit my beer tommorow or the day after. Could I scoop the krausen out or does it contain yeast that I would need? What do I do? This smells absolutely delicious by the way.

It's ugly as hell, but that's a good thing! If it was me I would just put a blow off tube on it. Put a 1/2in. tube into the rubber gromet and put the tube into a gallon container with some starsan in it (maybe 1/4gal of starsan solution). When the fermentation calms down put the airlock back on. I've done this with good results. Also, if it was me I wouldn't scoop out anything. Not sure it matters, but I just wouldn't..

You can just take the cap & center piece out of the airlock & atatch the 1/2" tube to that. Run it into a half gallon jug 1/3 full of water to which a splash of starsan was added. That's all you need for piece of mind.

That right there is GREAT fermentation... that's what you want. So as said above, you should just get a blowoff tube stuck onto the 3-piece airlock. Then when it subsides you can replace airlock pieces.

Heresy I know - but I don't use an airlock, just set the lid loosely on top of the fermenter until the krausen subsides and then I snap the lid down until FG is stable for a few readings over several days...

That being said, that is what healthy fermentation looks like!

OK, I've fashioned a blow off tube. My tube was too small to fit over the piece inside the airlock and too big to fit directly into the grommet in the lid, so I stuck my racking cane into the grommet and the tube to the end of that. My only concern is that it is all too narrow and will clog. There is a lot of what I think is hops "sludge" in the krausen and im hoping if that gets sucked up, it will not clog and blow my lid. I think, if anything, it will blow the racking cane out first though. I used hop pellets so I think the "sludge" is soft enough to get through the tube.

ForumRunner_20120106_215732.jpg

OK, I've fashioned a blow off tube. My tube was too small to fit over the piece inside the airlock and too big to fit directly into the grommet in the lid, so I stuck my racking cane into the grommet and the tube to the end of that. My only concern is that it is all too narrow and will clog. There is a lot of what I think is hops "sludge" in the krausen and im hoping if that gets sucked up, it will not clog and blow my lid. I think, if anything, it will blow the racking cane out first though. I used hop pellets so I think the "sludge" is soft enough to get through the tube.

Looks like a good DIY set-up to me. I think you'll be fine. Just keep an eye on it.

I'm willing to bet it wont even push up into your tube anyway..

In that situation I usually just loosely cover with sanitized foil. Not as much pressure builds up and will usually won't foam over anymore. Then a day or two later, after the aggressive fermentation is done, I'll put the lid back on.

In that case you probably could have just RDWHAHB and pulled the airlock out of the grommet and left it. I would have rather left it open than chance clogging that small of a line. It's obvious that there's enough active fermentation and CO2 production to keep positive pressure... the difference would be when fermentation dies down you want to get the airlock back on there. But that was good thinking on your part

Back