What bourbon and how much for 4.5 gallons of stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stix

Reaction score
Soaking oak chips in bourbon. What bourbon and how much for the batch? Beer is fermenting just need to secondary. I know how I do it. Looking for others input for tweaking. How long do you secondary with chips and what kind of bourbon do you use and how much?

Depends on the flavor you want. Most bourbons are made with rye, which I'm personally not a fan of. Others use wheat, which to me is a much smoother, sweeter flavor. If that's what you're going for, use makers mark or eagle rare. If you like the sort of spiciness or peppery flavor of a rye bourbon, use pretty much anything else you can find on a shelf.

I brewed a STRONG stout before Christmas which is still aging. Last taste, the bourbon was perfect for me. It was the foremost flavor, but was not overpowering. Certainly obvious that it was there, but you could get other flavors as well. Let me see if I can figure out how much I put in.

It was 12 oz, but my OG was 1.108. I also used 3 oz of charred oak chips (from the inside of a Wild Turkey bourbon barrel) and 3 vanilla beans.

If your brew is considerably lower in gravity or flavor additions, I'd definitely use less than the 12 oz I used. Good luck.

I'd soak them in a pint of Bulleit Rye (personal fav...sweet and spicy), add the chips for bulk conditioning and save the whiskey. When kegging/bottling, add whiskey an ounce or two at a time, to taste.

The beer I brewed is at 1.102. I used a whiskey last time I brewed it. I used Jameson 12 year. I really love the idea of vanilla beans!! I am looking for a smoother sweeter flavor.

I appreciate the input. Stouts are right next to ipas for me. Especially a good bourbon barrel :) Any input is welcome. Never heard of Bulliet.

Well,for an OG that high,use 3oz of chips & maybe 4-5 jiggers of bourbon.
Soak'em in an airtight container in the fridge during primary fermentation. I then pour all through a hop sock into secondary,tie it off,& drop it in. Rack beer onto that.

Stix said:
The beer I brewed is at 1.102. I used a whiskey last time I brewed it. I used Jameson 12 year. I really love the idea of vanilla beans!! I am looking for a smoother sweeter flavor.

I appreciate the input. Stouts are right next to ipas for me. Especially a good bourbon barrel :) Any input is welcome. Never heard of Bulliet.

Wait. This isn't the first time you've brewed this beer and put whiskey in it? How much did you use last time and how was it last time?

I'm more than happy to help, but I can almost guarantee you will have better results basing changes on your own experiences. If for no other reason than differences in opinion and taste.

Thanks all. As I said I was just looking for what others have done and maybe tweaking mine a bit. Information and seeing what others do could make mine all the better.

Back