What BJCP Category does this beer belong in???????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaBears34

Reaction score
So I have this beer that I would like to enter into a contest but I'm not sure what category to enter it in. The beer in question is a Wit with chocolate. I was going for a nice chocolate orange flavor similar to the candies which turned out better than I expected. Aroma is a nice blend of orange and chocolate however most of my taste testers notice the orange and have to search a little bit for the chocolate. Taste is orange upfront, chocolate on the tail end, with a nice crisp wheat flavor throughout.

So looking for the BJCP category. First I looked at 16A Belgian Wit because of the base beer and 16E Belgian Specialty Ale because of the chocolate. Ingredients for this are inline with a Belgian Wit except I used Wyeast 1010 to allow the orange and chocolate to shine so that Belgian yeast taste is not present. This tends to make me lean away from both of these categories.

Next I was thinking of 21A Spice/Herb/Vegetable which includes beers with chocolate. This is the category that I'm leaning towards because of the chocolate and coriander used. But then I keep thinking how people who have tried this beer keep seeing the chocolate in the background so I don't want to get knocked in points for that not possibly being strong enough although it does say the flavor can be subtle.

So what are your thoughts? Am I on track with 21A? Are there other categories any of you may think this falls into like a Fruit beer or Specialty beer?

And on a side note I would just like to thank the many members here. This is my first time posting but I have used the knowledge and info available through this site on many of my brews and greatly appreciate learning from what others have experimented with.

if the rules don't prohibit, and you can afford the entry fees, enter it in all categories in which you think it belongs

I would probably enter as a 23-A Specialty Beer. It's a catch-all for stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.

I would probably enter as a 23-A Specialty Beer. It's a catch-all for stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else.

which I think makes it a tough category to win. how many Black IPAs or Chocolate Cherry Stouts or Rhubarb Wits would you want to compete against?

The yeast/chocolate pulls it out of any Belgian category IMO

Throw it in 21A if its on the higher end of "spicing" from the coriander or you can even try 6D as an American wheat beer.

Worst part about competitions is you can have an amazing beer but if it doesn't fall under the "style guidelines" its going to score poorly.

Back