What are 10 American beers I should try buying in USA at a beer shop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finlandbrews

Reaction score
I'm going to visit Boston for a week and I want to buy very good beers. I will buy all the local ones from tap rooms and bars but I would like to buy 10-15 beers to bring back to Europe. Which ones would you recommend me to buy?

Thanks

There's a few factors at play:
- Depends on what kind of beer you enjoy drinking
- What kind of bottle shop/ beer store you're going to (I'm not sure how they do it in Boston)
- The distribution area of whatever kind of beer your looking for. For example, Russian River makes some pretty good beer, but you most likely will not find any of it up in Boston.

Hope you find some good ones!

Drink on

I wrote this in another thread, but in addition to Trillium, I would recommend stopping at Hopsters Alley, located in the new Boston Public Market (located just about the Haymarket MBTA station, 100 Hanover St.). They have a lot of beers from especially the New England region. They sometimes get some Maine Beer Co. Lunch but they always have some sort of Maine Beer Co. beers there. They also get beers from Wormtown Brewing and Castle Island, two well-respected but less-discussed breweries in this area.

I would also recommend Craft Beer Cellar, located in the Kenmore Square area (Kenmore Square MBTA station, 98 Van Ness St.). I personally have not been but a couple of friends have and said they have a good selection.

The distribution area of whatever kind of beer your looking for. For example, Russian River makes some pretty good beer, but you most likely will not find any of it up in Boston.

Right, you can create a list of the top 10 beers, but most likely you aren't going to be able to get any of them, except maybe Trillium, on a trip to Boston if you aren't willing to drive. It seems that most of the highest rated beers are just not available here (Pliny), hard to get to (Treehouse) or a combination of hard to get to and lucky (Heady Topper, MBC Dinner).

I'm trying to think of a top 10 list but it's hard haha. I would pick up something from stone and Brooklyn definitely, but I'm not sure what.

Not sure if you will see it. But Propellers ESB is probably my flavour beer. but its hard to get here! Its a Canadian brewey and relatively close to Boston. Unless you are actually looking for american style beer. :D

Cambridge Brewing Company and Somerville Brewing Company(Slumbrew) make great stuff. Oh how could I forget, try something from Smuttynose while you're here

Also, add to your list:

Jack's Abby (they are in Framingham, MA, but their beers are pretty common in Boston).

Wormtown Brewery (Worcester, MA)

I would have recommended Pretty Things, but unfortunately, they have closed. Sniff, sniff.

One good pub is Sunset Grill & Tap in Allston/Brighton. They have 113 beers on tap and 380 microbrews. They will also hook you up with some of the great beers from Maine (Allagash, Maine Brewing Company)

And, yes, I second Smuttynose (NH). They have wonderful stuff, particularly their smaller releases and experiments.

Also, add to your list:

Jack's Abby (they are in Framingham, MA, but their beers are pretty common in Boston).

Wormtown Brewery (Worcester, MA)

I would have recommended Pretty Things, but unfortunately, they have closed. Sniff, sniff.

One good pub is Sunset Grill & Tap in Allston/Brighton. They have 113 beers on tap and 380 microbrews. They will also hook you up with some of the great beers from Maine (Allagash, Maine Brewing Company)

And, yes, I second Smuttynose (NH). They have wonderful stuff, particularly their smaller releases and experiments.

Oh yeah I love Jacks Abbey. Especially their lager approaches to some typically ale styles(the only do lagers).

I would expect founder's to be available there.
their Porter is very good & their breakfast stout is top notch

I would expect founder's to be available there.
their Porter is very good & their breakfast stout is top notch

If I can find any seasonals in bottle and red rye on draft would be great. Otherwise we have the full range available in Finland! Even the kbs is sold in some of the government alcohol shops.

I will try to get mostly new England stuff such as smuttynose, Maine beer, and the great Massachusetts breweries.

Make sure that you check the dates on the bottles of whatever you're getting to ensure you're getting something as fresh as possible.

Make sure that you check the dates on the bottles of whatever you're getting to ensure you're getting something as fresh as possible.

I always check that, but thanks for the tip, it is indeed very important! Especially for the hoppy ones, which I plan on getting... :)

Back