What am I doing wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonypr24

Reaction score
Do I Have Been Brewing For A Few Years now But I Took A Break For A Year While I Finished By Basement Now IM Back Brewing And I Cant Get My Efficiency Above 65%. I've done 3 beers one was suppose to be 1.069 and I ended up 1.
062 batch sparge. My second one was suppose to be 1.056 I got 1.046 no sparge, the 3rd one was suppose to be 1.053 and I ended up with 1.044 fly sparge. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I used t ok hit it right on the money almost all the time. The only thing I've changed for equipment is my mash tun J went from a 5 gl cooler mash tun to a 10 gl cooler mash tun but other than that I'm doing everything like u used to.

I would investigate the crush quality and your thermometer's accuracy.

If all else fails, just adjust your recipes to match your efficiency, as long as the efficiency is consistent! (comparing batch, fly, and no sparge can't really identify that yet. you'll have to pick one and stick with it to know).

Holy shift key, Batman!

The change in cooler for your mash tun could be part of the problem, if you don't adjust your methods to it. It will change and hold temps differently than your last one.

Also, do you take gravity readings at multiple times during brewing? First runnings, sparge, pre-boil? You have the OG going into the fermentor, but not much more. Readings at other times would help narrow down where the issue is. Gravity aside, are your wort volume measurements accurate? Really, there could be any number of reasons your gravity isn't where it's supposed to be.

I would investigate the crush quality and your thermometer's accuracy.

If all else fails, just adjust your recipes to match your efficiency, as long as the efficiency is consistent! (comparing batch, fly, and no sparge can't really identify that yet. you'll have to pick one and stick with it to know).

Good call, grain crush is a biggie, I have 2 new thermometers both are off, 1 is 5 deg off the other is 10 deg off.

Cheers :mug:

Latest posts

Back