What am I brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger988

Reaction score
Three Gallon batch -

7lb 2 Row
2.5lb wheat
5oz Chocolate Malt

.6oz Vanguard @ 60
.60z Saaz @ 15

5 oz Raw Agave Nectar @ Flameout
One big lime worth of lime zest @ FO

The agave and lime is obviously an attempt at a tequila inspired beer, but what is the base beer going to be closest to?

Not really close to any style. I guess you could call it a chocolate wheat? Not sure if that will play well with agave and lime. BTW......I have brewed with agave a few times. Never thought it did much except dry the beer out.

Closest thing would be an "amber" I suppose, the amount of wheat isn't really enough to classify as such and there isn't a whole lot else going on. What yeast are you using?

Just thought I'd give an update on this even though it didn't see much activity...

I just used US-05, I'm now brewing this for the 3rd time since the end of October. Its been an absolute hit with wine/cider drinkers, just about everyone else that has had it loved it as well. I knocked the ABV down a bit and essentially brewed the same recipe with a 4gal yield on the 2nd and 3rd batches and no one complained at all.

Still have no idea what style to call it, haha.

Its got a pretty heavy Agave nose to it IMO, pretty sweet. I'm having a hard time describing it at all, I'd be happy to send out a bottle or two if anyone is curious and might be able to give a better description than myself.

20150208_182324[1].jpg

Its more of a deep ruby red than the picture makes it out to be, really is a pretty beer.

Back