What About the BYO Batch Sparge Article?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebull

Reaction score
Has anyone read the new BYO article on batch sparging. What about exposing the grain bed to oxygen by completely draining the liquid between sparges? Should we leave the grain bed covered with water between the sparges? If I read the article correctly, you couldn't drain the cooler completely until the final batch sparge if using more than one rinse.

I think the point of the article was just to show the pros and cons of each method. It does point out that you can make great beer with either method, but some people want to control every aspect to miniscule levels.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I batch sparge (although I'm planning on going to fly sparging for efficiency's sake) and have never had an issue with off flavors from the sparge. Any off flavors I've had can be directly attributed to fermentation temperature control.

I don't see how you could do any type of batch sparge without letting the grain have access to oxygen. The only way to not do this is fly/continuous sparge as all batch sparges involve removal of liquid from the tun.

wortmonger said:
I don't see how you could do any type of batch sparge without letting the grain have access to oxygen. The only way to not do this is fly/continuous sparge as all batch sparges involve removal of liquid from the tun.

Or, you spread a CO2 blanket over the surface and replenish from time to time. Not perfect, but it should reduce O2 exposure.

I drain and refill. Never had a problem with oxygenation or efficiency. The author was trying to be fair, but I'd say he only fly sparges.

Judging from the soapy floor analogy, I don't think he's mopped many floors either.:)

david_42 said:
I drain and refill. Never had a problem with oxygenation or efficiency. The author was trying to be fair, but I'd say he only fly sparges.

Judging from the soapy floor analogy, I don't think he's mopped many floors either.:)

+1 I have done both and never noticed any problem.

Latest posts

Back