What a stupid mistake...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USAF_CAVEMAN

Reaction score
For some reason i decided to put my .5 oz of German Haultauer strait into my brew instead of using a drain sock...I strained most of it out when i transferred it from my brew kettle to my fermentation bucket but i can still see some in my brew...someone please tell me that the rest of the hop pieces will gather at the bottom and i wont have to worry about it lol Im prolly screwed! :drunk:

I used to throw my pellets in my brew kettle without a hop bag and I didn't even strain them out when I racked to primary. They will all settle to the bottom. I had a little more trub doing it that way but who cares about that.

I never use a bag, just throw the pellets right in there. Pretty much all of it sinks down below my spigot so when racking to secondary then to keg I get a pretty clear product. Any little bits left over settle right to the bottom of my keg and with a shortened dip tube my beer comes out nice and clear.
Either kegging or bottling you will be fine after it sits for a bit.

Thanks for the help fellas! One more question is it normal to have to wait a little while for your brew to cool down enough to be able to pitch the yeast? It seems like it has taken to long to cool down or maybe im just being impatient one or the other.

I don't use any bags, strainers, filters, dip tubes or anything else. I just bung the whole thing in the bucket: hops, cold break, hot break, everything. And after that I even add the stir bar from my starter flask, just for good measure :D

Everything will settle on the bottom. If that's the only 'mistake' you made, your beer will be fine.

Going from 210° to 70° takes a while especially if all you are doing is adding cold water. Next time try an ice bath and then top off with really cold water. That should get you down within an hour.

How much reading have you done on home brewing? One of the most basic concepts is that you need to chill your beer from boil to pitch temp as quickly as possible after the boil. This is to reduce the chance of other nasties besides your yeast deficating in your beer.

Read up on immersioon chillers, pate chillers, counter flow chillers, snow banks, and ice baths. . .if you just let it sit, it will take forever to cool a huge pot of boiling water.

You can give your wort an ice bath. That along with a few gallons of cold water to top off. I can usually get to pitching temp in 15 minutes. You can also put 2 gallon jugs of water in the freezer...long enough to get them cold...not long enough to freeze it and use that for your top off water. A worth chiller is you best option for full boils though.

+ 1 on a chiller.
I use an immersion chiller and can get my boiling wort down to pitching temp in 10 or 15 minutes.

Yea ive done quite a bit of research but it seemed like because this was my first batch once i started brewing i was behind the power curve lol to be honest im not sure what the hell i was thinking...im just hoping that it doesnt ruin my beer

Just chill man! (pun intended) You'll hear it alot on here ' cause it's true. . .RDWHAHB. . .I think you need to try that. If you can get the pot in cold water in the tub or sink right now it will help. Just try to help it cool fastet any way you can. You'll be fine.

I did the same thing with my first batch, which wasn't all that long ago.

Without a chiller, I found that it cools WAY faster if you put the few gallons you boiled in an ice bath BEFORE you add the cold water that you have chilled in a freezer. My first batch I went the other way. The 2-gallons were right on the verge of freezing, in fact there were ice chunks dropping in with the water. Then I put the bucket in the sink and gave it an ice bath. It took hours! I skimped on the ice a bit too. Won't make that mistake again-

A few batches later I put the cooking pot into the ice bath right off the burner, stirred it a bit and swirled the ice water a few times, had a brew. Poured the cold water in the bucket then added the wort and I was in business.

Still not as cool as a wort chiller but if you are doing the ice bath chill like me, order of operation makes a difference.

For what it's worth, that first batch tasted fine anyhow. And I made so many other very stupid mistakes along the way that I forgot about the slow chill.

Yea dude sounds like exactly what i did...I def should have put it an ice bath before i added the water. Glad to hear yours turned out good!

some people cover it up and let it cool overnight before they pitch the next day.. as long as you're careful you shouldn't have too much of an issue.. that being said i use a plate chiller and have it chilled to pitching temp as fast as my pump can push it.. i also use a paint strainer bag for my hops just because i don't want too much getting into my chiller, but it always seems that a lot gets through the bag anyways and collects on the bottom of the BK and BB..

Good advice! Yea i think my main concern is that because it has been a while since i boiled im worried about my batch being infected...at this point i guess all i can do is wait til it reaches temp pitch the yeast and hope for the best!

Back