well water and carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigger103

Reaction score
I was wondering about how natural minerals and hardness effects the carbonation of water if at all......

I haven't noticed anything major. I'm sure there's some scientific studies out there though.

However, the original carbonated water was that of mineral springs, which have natural minerals and hardness, usually due to calcium carbonate. Something about how calcium carbonate dissolves under pressure and carbonation.

many waters back in the soda jerk age and even now use distilled water and add specific amounts of various minerals and salts to create mineral water (which has hardness due to the additions).

In regards to these, I'd say that it's going to be pretty negligible. (You might use more, or less, co2 to carbonate perhaps, but it would not likely be a significant amount).

my well water has some manganese in it (it makes a black stain in my toilet tanks after a few months) and a minimal amount of iron. when I had my last well drilled back in the late 90s I had PVC casing used to minimize the amount of iron that wold be in the water (or so said the well driller) I have noticed a huge difference in the water from my last well which was a shallow well of about 80 feet rather then 350 feet of my current one. anyway thanks for the comment.......I will be out of the soda making for the next few months going to Saudi Arabia today for work........will try to look in on you all from time to time......Airborne........

Whooo Ah!!! Good luck in Saudi, I just spent two + years in Iraq as a civilian contractor. Work was tough, and the heat was nothing short of amazing, but I got a lot of good projects done for my guys in the armored vehicles. Never lost a soldier due to equipment failure on the battlefield. And some of my mods have been incorporated in the follow on designs of the Cougar and other MRAP style vehicles. Be carefull and get back in one piece so you can carbonate as much stuff as you desire.
Bob

Thanks Bob....I arrived in one piece had a great flight over here (had 3 seats to myself so i could lay out and sleep)......still didnt' sleep very well.........its hard to get used to the hours difference. we are 7 hours ahead of home on the east coast. It is definitely an adventure the biggest change Ive noticed is the driving ( forget defensive driving you have to go to the Madd Maxx school of offensive driving to survive here) thats why there is so many SUV over here and not to mention only 10$ american to fill one up.....

Back