Well....I am officially a hop farmer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't take non-response from a local brewer as a "no". You need to understand that many of these guys are getting phone calls weekly to monthly from people wondering if they want to buy hops. I've heard stories of guys showing up with pickle jars and grocery bags filled with wet hops at a brewer's door asking if they want to buy them. Of course they won't. If a farmer knocked on a restaurant's door with a steer on a lead, would the chef say, "Sure I'll buy your steer. Just tie him to the dumpster."

Do a little research and you will find that most brewers want dried, pelletized hops that have at least the alpha acid tested. Some want more. Some will take whole leaf. some will even take wet. But educate yourself on the various ways they are processed, what testing must be done and how they should be packaged and then go back. You may find different results.

To be honest it was just fishing and not really trying hard to contact them. Best way I assume would be to make a visit in person.

That may work, but they still may not give you the time of day. Its not that brewers are a$$holes or anything, they are just really busy people like anyone that is trying to grow a business. They don't have the time to talk to every Tom, Dick and Harry that wants to grow hops, grow barley, make glassware, print T-shirts, etc. They've got their trusted purchasing channels and you almost have to present most of them with a packaged product before you can get their attention.

I guess what I'm saying is if you are really interested in this, you have to dive in. Do some research, develop your business plan, figure out how you want or can market the final product, grow some hops, process them, package them and present it to your local brewer. If you walk in with that, you will get their attention.

Latest posts

Back