weldless fitting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sooperbrew

Reaction score
I'd like to put a weldless fitting onto my stockpot, but don't want to shell out the 30 bucks to buy one from someplace on the internet. Does anyone have a parts list and some pseudo directions so I can just put it together myself? I'm not much of a DIYer, but this seems fun, I might just need some of it spelled out to me. I know I need a step bit, but not sure where to go from there.

Welcome to the forum.
When ever I go to do something like this...I just hit the local Lows and Hope for the best. Usually I end up paying more than the real one.

All you really need is a 1/2" Brass bulkhead, a couple Hi Temp o-rings and a ball valve.

Go here so you can see the image for each of the below.

1/2" Threaded Brass Full port Ball Valve.
1/2" Stainless Steel coupler.
1/2" Stainless Steel shim/washer
Rough Brass 1/2" Locknut. <-- probably not necessary
Brass 1/2" Male Pipe to 1/2" Barb.
1/2" Stainless steel close pipe nipple. 1.25 inch long
Silcone O-Ring

You can buy the whole thing for 19.00 from there too, depending on shipping it might be worth it. I just got one and it works perfect for my keg.

For a 1/2" weldless fitting, you will need to make a hole that is just a hair bigger than 3/4". Step bits for larger sizes than that are pretty expensive, so people tend to either go with a hole saw, or get the cheap 3/4" step bit and enlarge the hole with a dremel tool or a file.
Honestly, you can barely get the individual parts cheaper than here. The sweat and frustration that I invariably incur in the plumbing aisle is worth more than the coupla' bucks you might save. Even if you go the DIY route, just looking at the site will give you a list of what you need.

One other tip. If you are using a thick aluminum stock pot you can just drill the 3/4" hole, then put two nuts on one side of the nipple (don't that sound kinda erotic) and force it through by twisting and cutting threads. This worked well for me. I then JB welded the nipple in place and am very pleased with it. Almost as good as a weld-on.

+1 for greatbargain.net

I ordered one there 3 or 4 months ago and it works great. Best price I could find too.

would that work for a stainless pot as well? I heard those are tricky to drill through

Thanks for the replies

What is the difference between the 19 dollar and the 27 dollar one on that website. Thanks for the tip there by the way. I've seen similar ones for upwards of 40 bucks...

Thanks for the replies

What is the difference between the 19 dollar and the 27 dollar one on that website. Thanks for the tip there by the way. I've seen similar ones for upwards of 40 bucks...

Stainless vs Brass. Some people only want SS touching their wort due to some fear about using brass but I think the consensus is brass works fine.

Also you should be fine with the step drill bit, I used one that was 3/4" and then used a dremel to widen it the rest of the way but this was on a keg. I can't see a SS pot being much different and for me the bit went through it like butter.

regarding drilling the hole, i had a step bit all ready to drill my SS keggle, but thought i'd give it a shot first with a bimetal hole saw, something like you'd buy at home depot or lowes. I was surprised at how easily the hole saw went though. Probably took me all of 5-10 seconds. Hole saws are much cheaper than step bits as well.

I bought a cheap step bit at Ace Hardware today to install mine. It was only 4.29 and I figured I would probably only need it once. Small price to pay for not having to use a pot to scoop out the wort and the end of a busy brew day.

Also +1 on bargain fittings....my order showed up in a couple days and the install went fine.

Latest posts

Back