Weird gas post on new keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Semicole

Reaction score
I ordered a re conditioned keg off of eBay from a seller that I bought my last keg from. The first keg is fine, it looks like your typical corny keg. This second keg has an odd gas post on it, instead of a typical 6 point nut at the base of the post it has this weird star thing and I have tried and tried and can't get it off. I would like to get it off just because I want to sanitize every piece of the keg. Any ideas?

Link to picture: https://imgur.com/X9lWLAO

What's weird about it? It looks like a normal gas-in post to me. Use a regular 7/8" socket.

Is that a washer under it? There's no reason for it.
All the other posts on my kegs are just normal 6 point sockets, whereas this one is this weird star shape (12 point maybe idk?). It's not really a washer, it's not even sandwiched between the post and keg, it's just kind of floating underneath it.

I have one like this and a 7/8" box wrench works. The box end of the wrench will loosen the post but not the open end.

Cornelius 7/8" 12 point gas post. Quite common. I have a few...

Cheers!
Interesting, alright that's good to know. This is only the second corny I've bought, so I think I just don't have enough exposure to them yet. I'll get there haha.

I suspect if one was determined to acquire 16 "vintage" corny kegs there'd be a couple/few 12 pointers in the mix...

Cheers!
Just wanted to say also that I've seen you around the forum quite a bit and I only just noticed your profile picture is a fly. I tie and fly fish as well, that's a pretty tie.

You're very kind, thank you. I had the benefit of tutelage by a couple of really good classic salmon fly tiers, I barely approached their skills but had fun trying :)

Cheers!

You're very kind, thank you. I had the benefit of tutelage by a couple of really good classic salmon fly tiers, I barely approached their skills but had fun trying :)

Cheers!
That's awesome! I haven't had that privilege, I'm down in Texas, so I pretty much only tie for bass/panfish and sometimes for trout if I make the trek up to southern Oklahoma. Anyways, awesome looking tie man!

All the other posts on my kegs are just normal 6 point sockets, whereas this one is this weird star shape (12 point maybe idk?). It's not really a washer, it's not even sandwiched between the post and keg, it's just kind of floating underneath it.
I think that is meant to help identify which post is gas. If you look at your other keg you will probably see a line or something on the gas post.

OK...you need to check your other posts to make sure you have the right ones on there.

The 12 pointed one in the picture has a slice cut into each point. These are the GAS IN posts. The BEER OUT posts do not have them. Make sure you have 1 of each for every keg.

OK...you need to check your other posts to make sure you have the right ones on there.

The 12 pointed one in the picture has a slice cut into each point. These are the GAS IN posts. The BEER OUT posts do not have them. Make sure you have 1 of each for every keg.
Yeah the posts on my other keg has the slices on each corner, it just doesn't have the 12 point nut on it like this keg.

Yeah the posts on my other keg has the slices on each corner, it just doesn't have the 12 point nut on it like this keg.

OK, I just wanted to make sure you had all the right pieces in the right amount.

If you set the GAS IN and the BEER OUT posts next to each other you can see there is a ring around their necks that are at different heights. The connectors are different colors so you don't confuse them and the ball bearings in them are also set at different heights.

When I started kegging I learned which is which by thinking: GG/BB or Grey for G and Black for Beer. :yes:

OK, I just wanted to make sure you had all the right pieces in the right amount.

If you set the GAS IN and the BEER OUT posts next to each other you can see there is a ring around their necks that are at different heights. The connectors are different colors so you don't confuse them and the ball bearings in them are also set at different heights.

When I started kegging I learned which is which by thinking: GG/BB or Grey for G and Black for Beer. :yes:

That doesn't work for me. Two of my three gas connectors are white.

A few of mine are like that too. I prefer the 12-point. It makes the posts easily identifiable by touch in a dark kegerator.

I also never understood that weird washer thing that serves no good purpose. I bought a used keg a few months ago and it also had that washer which I promptly removed when cleaning it.
20180325_130723.jpg

I ordered a re conditioned keg off of eBay from a seller that I bought my last keg from. The first keg is fine, it looks like your typical corny keg. This second keg has an odd gas post on it, instead of a typical 6 point nut at the base of the post it has this weird star thing and I have tried and tried and can't get it off. I would like to get it off just because I want to sanitize every piece of the keg. Any ideas?

Link to picture: https://imgur.com/X9lWLAO

The star-shaped (12 point) post you showed is a “Type A” gas post. As others have said, you use a 7/8 boxed end wrench for this. You didn’t show what the liquid post looks like. It should be a six-sided post and take a 7/8” wrench as well. If the liquid post takes and 11/16” wrench (Type B), the posts are mismatched, and one of them is wrong for this keg.

Type A posts came on kegs stamped with one of the following manufacturers mark: Spartanburg, Firestone V Challenger, Firestone VI Challenger, Firestone Super Challenger.

Type B posts came on kegs stamped with Cornelius.

There is a Type C post but they came on older kegs which aren’t seen too often.

The Type A kegs have different post thread sizes than Type B kegs. They are close enough that you can sometimes use the wrong posts for a keg, but the threads get damaged. Sometimes you can’t get them to hold gas. The different post types use different poppets, too. If you use the universal poppets, that really doesn’t matter.

I just bought some used kegs online, too. They had mismatched posts, and one didn’t seal. I bought the right posts and universal poppets and all work as they are supposed to work.

My recommendation is to use what you have as is. If a problem arises, change to the right posts. If your Type A post is on the wrong type of keg, change it right away. Those low 12-point Type A gas posts are a pain in the butt to deal with.

I also never understood that weird washer thing that serves no good purpose. I bought a used keg a few months ago and it also had that washer which I promptly removed when cleaning it.

It's not a washer. It's a label.

It's not a washer. It's a label.

Then definitely not needed when the keg was also has the word "IN" permanently etched on the top. I don't need a washer to tell me that but I guess one could argue that the obnoxiously large washer stands out a bit better so it's easier to see. The way companies cut costs these days to milk out every penny of profit, I would think the washer would be long gone as a way for them to increase their profit margins by about $.02 a keg!

Then definitely not needed when the keg was also has the word "IN" permanently etched on the top. I don't need a washer to tell me that but I guess one could argue that the obnoxiously large washer stands out a bit better so it's easier to see. The way companies cut costs these days to milk out every penny of profit, I would think the washer would be long gone as a way for them to increase their profit margins by about $.02 a keg!

All of my kegs have dimples in the rubber indicating the GAS IN inlet.

The star-shaped (12 point) post you showed is a “Type A” gas post. As others have said, you use a 7/8 boxed end wrench for this. You didn’t show what the liquid post looks like. It should be a six-sided post and take a 7/8” wrench as well. If the liquid post takes and 11/16” wrench (Type B), the posts are mismatched, and one of them is wrong for this keg.

Type A posts came on kegs stamped with one of the following manufacturers mark: Spartanburg, Firestone V Challenger, Firestone VI Challenger, Firestone Super Challenger.

Type B posts came on kegs stamped with Cornelius.

There is a Type C post but they came on older kegs which aren’t seen too often.

The Type A kegs have different post thread sizes than Type B kegs. They are close enough that you can sometimes use the wrong posts for a keg, but the threads get damaged. Sometimes you can’t get them to hold gas. The different post types use different poppets, too. If you use the universal poppets, that really doesn’t matter.

I just bought some used kegs online, too. They had mismatched posts, and one didn’t seal. I bought the right posts and universal poppets and all work as they are supposed to work.

My recommendation is to use what you have as is. If a problem arises, change to the right posts. If your Type A post is on the wrong type of keg, change it right away. Those low 12-point Type A gas posts are a pain in the butt to deal with.
This was really informative, I'm going to have to save this post and come back to it from time to time, thanks a lot.

Waitaminute. If I have a 12-point post on a Corny, it's bad for the keg threads?

I have one or two that came like that... no problems so far but if I need to switch, I will.

Waitaminute. If I have a 12-point post on a Corny, it's bad for the keg threads?

I have one or two that came like that... no problems so far but if I need to switch, I will.

The newer cornelius posts that I have are thin and take an 11/16" wrench but my older ones are 12 point and take a 7/8" wrench. Sounds like you are fine.

See this link for example, different possibilities:

https://www.kegoutlet.com/keg-sockets-keg-post-sockets.html

It’s not a problem if that is what is supposed to be on that particular keg. I’m assuming you have two. Type A posts on the right keg. No problem

Thanks for posting that, currently I am using a giant socket for kegs and this will be much nicer!

These tools are actually cheaper at Sears, even with shipping, than they are on Amazon. It was $18.12 at Sears including tax if I chose the cheapest, slowest $5 shipping. It was $24.77 on Prime at Amazon and I could not find any cheaper alternatives with the right combo of sizes. (It would cost me $10 in gas to get to Sears and back, there isn't one close by any more.)

The Sears web site was goofed up though and I couldn't create an account while using Chrome, I had to switch to another browser with no plugins. YMMV.

Back