Wehermann CaraRed info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sickbrew

Reaction score
I've used CaraRed a couple of times now and have noticed a peculiar flavor that somewhat resembles the cherry-like taste in some cough medicines. The flavor is not bad, subsides with time and it does achieve the goal of imparting some red tones. I'm just wondering how they do this. Is it only from the grain, or do the add something for the color, natural or otherwise.

Their website has limited info.

http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.asp?idkat=18&umenue=yes&idmenue=37&sprache=2

cheers

Carared is normal light crystal/caramel malt, there's nothing special in it. At ~45 EBC it's roughly equivalent to Castle Malting's Amber malt. I used it few times at a rate of 5-10% and did not notice anything unusual in flavor or aroma.

I think my reaction must have been psychosomatic.

I sent an inquiry to the malters and this was the explanation (FYI) and I give them props for a quick reply!

"The redish color is caused by different Maillard products built during the caramelisation and roasting process.

Therefore some specific proteins and sugars are produced due to a special germination regime."

Kind regards!

Andreas
- Quality Manager -
- Beer Sommelier & Judge at the GABF 2005-2008 & WBC 2010 -

Weyermann® Specialty Malts
Brennerstr. 17-19
96052 Bamberg, Germany

Back