Ways to save CO2 kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dland

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is kind of obvious, but it is something I just figured to do;

If you have an over carbed keg for any reason, just hook a jumper hose from gas port of overcharged keg to the one you are dispensing, as needed. Works very well.

Since the business that was the local Airgas dealer dropped that, it is kind of a pain to fill or exchange cylinders here, so even though I still have some, thinking of more way to conserve.

These three practices could in theory, almost eliminate need for bottled CO2:

Spunding, to carb beer w end of fermentation.

Using fermentation gas to purge kegs,

And now, using over spunded kegs to supply dispensing gas. I could see even over spunding on purpose as an emergency CO2 gas supply, should the need arise. Though I have to admit I did not over spund initial kegs on purpose.

I suppose one could even use spunding to put gas under mild pressure in empty keg for closed transfers and such. Will have to try that next.

Given your location, I'd think a big siphon tank and transfer hose would be the way to go.
I have to say since I picked up a 20 pound siphon tank things CO2-related got hella easier here...

Cheers!

I have 3 regular 20# tanks, one still nearly full. But that is because I've learned to conserve.

Hoping someone will pick up the Airgas dealership before I run out. At least I can take CO2 tanks on the boat legally. The flammable gasses are forboten due to CG regs. There are a lot of people here including me, wondering what to do about that. I'm sure some has been "smuggled" here already.

Just following up with a picture. Any time I have over carbed kegs from racking to spund a little too early, I use the extra gas to dispense other kegs.

It is not that gas costs that much, and there is finally a new Airgas dealer in area, but I do like knowing I can get by w/o buying CO2 to dispense if I have to.
IMG_2131.JPG
IMG_2131.JPG
s

One of the threads we discussed at length using a simple ferment in a pressure fermenter / keg as a CO2 engine. I had it in my plans if things got tough during lockdown.
But the other tactics are all good ways to repurpose the excess CO2.

Back