Water Treatment Advice needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RollingStone

Reaction score
Hello,

as I am in London my water profile is;
Ca2+:100
Mg2+ : 5
Na+: 35
Cl-: 60
SO42:-50
HCO3-: 265

and my target profile is;
Ca2+:75
Mg2+: 5
Na+:10
Cl-: 50
SO42-: 150
HCO3-:0

What should I do? I have zero experience or knowledge on water treatment, so if you explain your advice and tell me what to do with how to do would be great.

This is your new best friend:

http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/

Just put in your water profile. Fill in the details of your grain bill, then you can play with the additions (like gypsum or epsom salt) and it will calculate it all out for you, mineral levels, PH levels, etc. I know many local pro brewers that use this simple spreadsheet. Hope this helps!

PS. For what it's worth, the calculator is good for adding minerals to get your ratios more where you want it (looks like you want a high chloride to sulfate ratio). To reduce a certain mineral you're options are really to dilute your water with "zero" water (water with no minerals like distilled water or RO water). Doing this will reduce your current mineral levels and then you can add more salts to bump them up to the levels to where you want. I believe the calculator also has a place to add in volumes of "zero" water to help with the calculation. I hope this helps!

Back