water tank -> brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantose

Reaction score
So my brother picked up this thing for me that I'm thinking would make a pretty decent kettle after I cut the top off it. The thermometer port is a bit high, but the tubes inside could actually make a decent chiller. I'm thinking if I toss in a false bottom I could use the drain at the bottom to transfer.

Any advice/comments?

PICT0727.jpg

PICT0728.jpg

PICT0729.jpg

PICT0730.jpg

you guys got any links going through what exactly a HERMS HLT is? new term to me.

HLT is Hot Liqueur TUN
HERMS is Heat Exchange Recirculated Mash System

Basically you put water in the vessel listed above and heat it either by direct fire or electricity to around the mash temp you want. Then you pump the mash from the mash tun through the heat exchanger (stainless coil in the HLT) and then back in into the mash tun. The idea is that you get excellent control over your mash temps and super clear wort from the constant recirculation. That vessel really would make a great HERMS heat exchanger.

ah, I think I'll stick with the kettle now as I currently have nothing to do a full boil in.

It was originally an indirect water heater tank that my brother picked up at work. They got too many of them and they've been just sitting around for a couple years so he scored one.

ah, I think I'll stick with the kettle now as I currently have nothing to do a full boil in.

It was originally an indirect water heater tank that my brother picked up at work. They got too many of them and they've been just sitting around for a couple years so he scored one.

You are one lucky bastige. That is a perfect HERMS HLT. You have a great brother.

I would NOT cut on it..you will regret it later. find a beer keg on CL and cut that. but, you got to do what you got to do to make some beer. Its VERRRY NICE! great score.

Before you cut into that baby you may want to consider selling it to some one who would want it for a HERMS. You might get enough to pay for most, if not all, of the price for a purpose built boil kettle.

Should be able to easily get enough for a 10 gal Polar Ware Brew Pot like
Polar Ware 10 Gallon Brew Pot // Brewmasters Warehouse
or maybe some Blichman bling bling. I think 200+ would be a fair price for that thing. Just a thought...

first thing I thought about was it would make a great temperature controlled fermenter. Pond pump in a freezer with RV antifreeze love controller couple of lines to the SS coil

+1 for don't cut that thing! ALOT of people on here would happily trade you quite generously for it. I wouldn't be suprised if you were able to get $200+ for that, and if you cut into it for a boil kettle, it would be worth 1/4 that...

Tell us where you are, and offer a trade for...
Sanke keggle (Ready to go)
+ Banjo propane fryer
+ 50ft Imersion chiller or 25ft CFC

You'll get more than a boil kettle, and someone will love you for it!

Back