Water profile guesstimate for ESB - hedge bet on a given addditive?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a_gunslinger

Reaction score
I cant find a {clear} water report for my county with the values I need. And I havent received back my Ward labs water test results. Im brewing an ESB in a couple days and wondering if there is a style-safe water addition I should make or, with no real data, do nothing. I figured some beers have specific mineral needs that might be safe to add without negatively affecting beer if not really needed?

Andrew Heath's ESB: Brewfather

Gerneral specs for style I seem to need an Amber in this table:

profiles.jpg

But not knowing current water analysis probably renders this a moot point?

Add nothing and just brew it?

If you don't know anything about your water profile and you care about this enough, I would suggest buying some distilled water and build the brewing liquor from scratch. Otherwise it's just guessing so you're flying blind.

While it’s a wild guess, most water supplies are going to need some acid to avoid a high mash pH. About a quarter or half milliliter of 88% lactic acid per gallon of water should be safe without going overboard.

Regarding other mineral additions, you can delete them from the mashing and sparging water and you can add them to the finished beer. More than likely, a modest gypsum addition will enhance that beer style.

Back