Water profile for English bitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I am brewing an English style bitter tomorrow and I am looking for a good water profile to shoot for. I know the Burton profile is historic and all, but I am not going to run the So4 up to 800ppm, not going to happen.

Anyone have a profile they have used that has turned out well? I will probably buffer the mash with 5.2, so I am mostly looking for Cl and SO4 levels.

I use what is recommended by Terry Foster in "Pale Ale"

For ordinary, special, or extra special, he recommands:
Ca 50 - 100
SO4 100 - 200
Cl 20
I shoot for Ca 75, SO4 150, CL 20 and am very satisfied with the results.
However, my water report says the Ca varies between 8 and 40 ppm, SO4 varies between 5 and 33 PPM, and Cl varies between 5 and 35 PPM, so I never really know what I'm getting, but I base my water treatments on the average and don't notice any batch to batch differences.

-a.

i was just going to link you to the same question I asked months ago.

However, it was ajf that answered, so there ya go.

I use what is recommended by Terry Foster in "Pale Ale"

For ordinary, special, or extra special, he recommands:
Ca 50 - 100
SO4 100 - 200
Cl 20
I shoot for Ca 75, SO4 150, CL 20 and am very satisfied with the results.
However, my water report says the Ca varies between 8 and 40 ppm, SO4 varies between 5 and 33 PPM, and Cl varies between 5 and 35 PPM, so I never really know what I'm getting, but I base my water treatments on the average and don't notice any batch to batch differences.

-a.

Thanks.

I went with:
Ca 56ppm
SO4 105ppm
Cl 26ppm

I will update on the results in a few weeks.

Latest posts

Back