Water filtration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eastcoastbrent

Reaction score
Hey all,
Long time lurker, first time poster here. So I have been brewing all-grain for over a year now and having a great time with it. I recently moved out of the city and the new house is on well and septic. When we first moved in there was tons of iron staining in the toilets, pipes, water heater etc. I have since flushed the whole system several times with iron out and things are getting on track. The previous owners installed a 40,000 grain water softener, and I have adjusted it to correspond a little better with the hardness here. There is still iron settling out in the toilets etc and the taste is not great. I am looking at installing a new water treatment system, (with the softener included) and looking for advice. I am looking for a whole home setup, I have a plumbed in espresso machine so going RO may not be the easiest solution as i do want some minerals in my water lines as they are copper as is my boilers in my machine and I would like to minimize leeching. I was thinking about a greensand filter but don't know a whole lot about them. My water profile is attached, this was from when we first had the house inspected, since then the system was shocked and a new well cap was installed to remove the total coliform, the most recent test for bacteria shows zero.

View attachment water profile1.pdf

I can't help you, outside my expertise and experience, but am bumping this to see if we can get someone who knows something about this to chime in.

Thanks for the bump, I guess there isn't anyone else out there with a solution. Im looking into an air injection/filtration system but don't want to spend the money on it if it isn't going to suit my needs.

I don't have a solution either, but from what I've seen around here, water treatment is typically talked about in 2 ways:
1) A local filter on the brew stand. Usually just a carbon filter or similar.
2) Starting with distilled or some other type of processed water, and making additions to get it brewable.

I can't recall seeing a lot of talk about home filtration systems. However, you might have some luck by using the "Similar Threads" links at the bottom of the page.

Back