Warrior hops...a good magnum sub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WolvinMaine

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I thought I would ask the collective knowledge/experience of the board this question. Do you think warrior would be a good substitute for magnum hops as a bittering hop?

Magnum hops are my go to for bittering when I want a clean, smooth background bitterness. I like the high alpha, thus less plant material in the kettle, with the more mellow flavor profile. I know 60 minute additions are supposed to not have much flavor, but I do think they do impact the overall flavor or the beer. You may not be able to pick it out specific flavor notes, but there is a difference. I have subbed out columbus sometimes, and have noticed it, and really noticed it when I bittered with Chinook. Magnum seems to get out of the way better, and lets the malt and yeast take more center stage.

Anyway, I have never used warrior hops, and wanted to know if you guys felt it was a good sub for Magnum. Thanks!

I like Warrior as a clean, high AA% bittering hop. I've used it many times in place of Magnum. It's not anywhere close to some of the high AA% "C" hops.

Back