Warped Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bknifefight

Reaction score
I use a 10 gallon round cooler for my mash tun. I always preheated it with about a gallon of boiling or near boiling water. I have been using it like this for a little over 4 years.

WIth my boiling water pre-heating method, I have warped the cooler slightly and the (screw on) lid is not keeping as tight as it used to. Because of this, I am losing temperature like I never have before.

Should I try and melt it back into place, or declare it time for a new mash tun? Thoughts?

Yeah sounds like you need a new one. And obviously you shouldn't preheat with boiling water anymore. I have a 10gallon round Igloo drink cooler and haven't had any issues. I just heat my strike water 11°F above my mash temp and it comes out perfect and I only lose about 1° over an hour.

I found a Coleman 70 quart Extreme Cooler at Walmart for $35.99 and put in an order to Bargain Fittings. I should have a new, bigger (Ive wanted something bigger for awhile) and super insulated MLT built in a few days time!

I usually just preheat with two gallons or so of "hot" tap water, seems to do the trick.

I just heat my strike water about 12-15 degrees hotter than I want to mash. No need to pre heat

Back