Warning micro rant/bad MF day/I'm having a beer!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedge_87

Reaction score
So today was a slow day at work... Because of the cold weather and holidays we have had several slow days recently. Normally I enjoy the lighter work load by subsidizing my time with hbt and other various forums. But today I kinda fell in a slump and was pissed off from the moment I unlocked the front door of the shop. Nothing really happened until I left work and had to pick up my fiances car from the mechanics. #*+^?! What do you mean a new transmission!!! New transmission cost $2400 installed. car resale value is $1500-2000. Any advice other than consume more homebrew:mug:

Learn to install a transmission yourself?

The terrible thought of spending my money on expensive repairs has taught me a lot about working on my cars and motorcycles for a small fraction of paying someone else.

Learn to install a transmission yourself?

The terrible thought of spending my money on expensive repairs has taught me a lot about working on my cars and motorcycles for a small fraction of paying someone else.

By "yourself", he does not mean "By yourself". Some floor jacks, stout wooden boards, a strap or two might help and a least one ox of a friend. Transmissions be heavy, yo.

But hey, $2,400 is still less than a new car.

I understand the value of doing car repairs on your own. And I have put transmissions in demo derby cars (yea I'm a dumb redneck) but it's different when the tranny cost $2000 and labor is $400 and comes with a 3000 mile warranty if installed at a "certified dealer". The money for labor is pretty cheap considering my poor skills might screw something up and it falls out when I pull out of the driveway. Idk I'm pretty good at working on toys (motorcycle ,4wheeler, demo car, and hopefully more) but....

Dude, you already have the skills. Buy a used tranny for probably $500 or so (depending on your vehicle, obviously). It's ludicrous to even consider buying a new tranny for a car worth only a couple thousand dollars.

I picked up a used tranny fo4 my jeep for 200, put it in by myself in a day, 2400 is just plain nuts

If it wasn't the vehicle we drive all over the country I would just drive it until it pukes. Then pull it to the crusher. I trust my truck to go anywhere. However the 13-14 mpg sucks

Found a used tranny for $700 has 70000 on it. Installed by my buddies mechanic shop it would run $1284 all said and done. The jasper tranny comes with a 100k mile warrenty and cost $2484 installed. I hate working on this car $400 installed doesn't sound to bad. Just hate sinking money into this damn car

If the body isn't too bad, and the frame rails aren't rusting through, that's probably a decent car to keep up with. That's if it has the 3800 motor and was kept in good shape. Since you live in Kansas, it's probably not rusted out. Up here in MI, rust is a given.

I guess there is a big difference between replacing a transmission yourself, in your own garage, and paying someone else to do it. Consider what it would cost to replace the tranny, then compare that with what kind of car you could get by trading your car in and adding the price of replacing the tranny. If we assume the car was worth $1000 (with failed tranny) and add the $1300 you'd pay to replace said failed tranny, then you would be even if you bought another used car for $2300.

Not sure about prices were you live, but around here, $2300 is not going to get you much of a car.

I had a new clutch put in a old subaru that is a runabout car by a ASE certified mechanic that worked at a Ford dealership. He did it at his personal residence for 450 bucks with a 12k warranty Vs. The dealership that wanted 890.00 for same job. I just searched around on CL for a mechanic.
If you cant find a trusted person and have to have a shop do it. Well then better drink a 12 pack!

Sorry to hear the crappy news. I have been 50/50 with used transmissions so my only advise is check what the fluid looks like in the sun for metal before buying if you can.

I had a new clutch put in a old subaru that is a runabout car by a ASE certified mechanic that worked at a Ford dealership. He did it at his personal residence for 450 bucks with a 12k warranty Vs. The dealership that wanted 890.00 for same job. I just searched around on CL for a mechanic.
If you cant find a trusted person and have to have a shop do it. Well then better drink a 12 pack!

Well I am good friends with these two guys that own a mechanic shop. If it's something small or something I can do myself they normally help me out for a little beer or something. However it is also their livelihood so if it's ever any major problem I don't have much of a problem letting them do it and charging me regular shop fees. It's not a dealer just a little me and pa shop.

Back