Warhammer 40K (WARNING: Excessive nerdery ahead!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Faction/Army

• SPESSH MEHREENS

• Imperial Guard

• Chaos Marines

• Eldar

• Tyranids

• Necrons

• Dark Eldar

• Orkz

• Inquisition (WH, DH, SoB)

• Tau empire and Their Weeaboo Fightan Robots

Results are only viewable after voting.

KFH

Reaction score
So because I don't have enough time and money-draining hobbies, I've decided to take the plunge and start my Warhammer 40K career. After reading plenty of novels (Ciaphas Cain FTW!) and playing nearly any WH40K video game I can find (XBox 360 version of Space Marine is outstanding), I pulled the trigger on the "Assault on Black Reach" starter set to give me a chance to practice and learn the game, along with learning to paint.

Once I get the hang of things, however, I'm going straight Chaos, because good is dumb!

Anyone else play?

KFH said:
So because I don't have enough time and money-draining hobbies, I've decided to take the plunge and start my Warhammer 40K career. After reading plenty of novels (Ciaphas Cain FTW!) and playing nearly any WH40K video game I can find (XBox 360 version of Space Marine is outstanding), I pulled the trigger on the "Assault on Black Reach" starter set to give me a chance to practice and learn the game, along with learning to paint.

Once I get the hang of things, however, I'm going straight Chaos, because good is dumb!

Anyone else play?

No, big fan of the fluff though. I'd like to start painting again though.

Played a LOOOOONG time ago. The comic/RPG store was only three blocks from my house, so we pretty much hung out there until we really got into girls ;) When I got back form the Army I threw out probably close to 100 of them.

I used to play Eldar in the late 90s. When I went to college, I was out of money and gaming went on hold. Later, I got back in to role playing games, but the days of buying boosters for my newest Magic deck or minis to field an army in 40K are long gone. I had better things to spend my money on - beer.

I still miss painting. I wish Necromunda was still around. I loved the league that I was in. We started the first week by buying fresh gangs and each week, kept track of injuries, record, and general progress. At the end, there were prizes for paint job, record, and a few other things I can't remember.

My BIL was into it a bit. He'd take his stuff on weekend reserve outings. They'd play Warhammer and Magic: The Gathering whenever the tank was going to be still for a little while. I'd probably just like painting them.

So my "Assault on Black Reach" starter kit arrived yesterday. I spent most of the evening flipping through the books and putting models together.

I'm planning on spending a good chunk of the weekend painting the models and teaching my girlfriend to play (as I learn how to play as well). :)

I played 40k, Fantasy Battle and the Warhammer RPG, back in the day, along with a few of the other usual D&D and similar RPGs. In college I played a bit of Earthdawn, when it was a brand new game. I still have all of my stuff packed in storage, but haven't played in 15-20 years. WOW, has it been that long?!!??

man i used to have a nice chaos marine army. i think i did a really good job assembling and painting as well.

never really had anyone to play with, lol. my friend said he was going to get into in, bought a basic kit but never stuck.

Once I decide to start building up my World Eaters army, I figure I'll sell/trade my Orks and convert my Ultramarines into the most retardedly awesome chapter in 40K history: the ANGRY MARINES!

I can't wait to plop those guys down on the table and start kicking ass with the Adamantite Sack of Power Doorknobs and the Thunder Wrench! :)

Ahh, yes. Maximum nerdage achieved! I used to play tyranids back when I was probably about 11-13 or so. My best friend's older brother was in to it, along with D&D and magic and all that stuff, so we kind of got into it as well. I haven't played in over a decade, but I still have a few models left. I wound up giving most of them to my little cousin a few years ago, just cause he thought they looked cool.

I was definitely into the whole model-making and painting thing for a while though. It still amazes me how good of a job I did painting those when I was not much older than 10. They weren't perfect, but they really aren't bad, either. I actually wound up painting a bunch for my friend's brother. On one of my tyranid models (one of the big ones, can't remember what it's called) I took a space marine model, chopped it up to make it look all mangled, and glued it to the base like the tyranid was stepping on him. I even melted it's head with a lighter and painted it to make it look like it's brains were oozing out. Nasty, I know, but damn that looked cool. I'm actually going to go see if I can find that one right now.

Honestly, though, I don't see myself getting back in to that. Too much money that I could be spending on beer.:mug:

I wish I had stuck it out, I bought a basic Chaos army and never actually played. I was too busy with my girlfriend and my band, unlike my other nerd friends. But it sure looked fun.

My first 4 models are complete!

d72abd1d.jpg

bb51ac31.jpg

3aa00bda.jpg

e223e6e0.jpg

This is the first time I've ever painted anything smaller than a living room wall, so I realize they're not that great. The fact that I'm stuck using my iPhone camera doesn't help much either, but I'm still mildly impressed with the results.

Back