Want To Add Fruit Flavoring To Wine Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SueMac

Reaction score
Hi,

I've done several wine kits but I really like the ones with a fruit flavoring as they are different from what I can buy at the liquor store. My next kit is an Island Mist Kiwi-Pear Sav Blanc. I'm going to make it as a 5 gallon kit for more body and possibly add sugar to up the alcohol %.

My question is, after that's done, I'd like to get a "regular wine kit" such as a Vintners or Vintners World Vineyard and then add a fruit flavoring to it. Any thoughts on type of flavoring (fruit puree, extract, etc.), how much and when to add? Has anyone done this, what was the process and how did it turn out?? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

If you like fruit wine kits, it might be safest to keep purchasing the ones you like. I think that taking a chianti kit and adding fermentables and fruit flavors might just unbalance the kit, and be weird. Maybe a merlot with blackberry flavoring would be ok, but adding extra fruit would boost the ABV of the kit, so you might end up with blackberry rocket fuel. I don't think any decent commercial kit would give you the results you're hoping for, except for the Island Mist kits or the Breezin' kits.

If you want to do a homemade fruit wine, though, there are lots of recipes around for that and usually cheaper than a wine kit.

You could do a mini experiment to see how this would work, just by buying a commercial bottle of wine and then adding fruit flavor to it. That would mimic what you're thinking of trying.

If you like fruit wine kits, it might be safest to keep purchasing the ones you like. I think that taking a chianti kit and adding fermentables and fruit flavors might just unbalance the kit, and be weird. Maybe a merlot with blackberry flavoring would be ok, but adding extra fruit would boost the ABV of the kit, so you might end up with blackberry rocket fuel. I don't think any decent commercial kit would give you the results you're hoping for, except for the Island Mist kits or the Breezin' kits.

If you want to do a homemade fruit wine, though, there are lots of recipes around for that and usually cheaper than a wine kit.

You could do a mini experiment to see how this would work, just by buying a commercial bottle of wine and then adding fruit flavor to it. That would mimic what you're thinking of trying.
Actually I added a strawberry flavour to a Zinfandel rose it was amazing so then I also added an apple flavour to a pinto Gratio and that was amazing too and never gives a strong strong flavour but it gives a nice hint of the flavour and I added it in three days before I bottled

Actually I added a strawberry flavour to a Zinfandel rose it was amazing so then I also added an apple flavour to a pinto Gratio and that was amazing too and never gives a strong strong flavour but it gives a nice hint of the flavour and I added it in three days before I bottled
What kind/brand of flavoring did you use?

Brewer’s best is what I used ..They have a lot of flavouring I like the flavoured wine kids like the island mist our the Niagara mist but they just taste so sweet and the alcohol Contents is so low so I’ve been Adding flavouring to just a nice white wine I also added a cherry and some oak chips to a cheap kit of a red Merlot and it was amazing to

How much flavor per gallon did you add? Do you think a fruit puree would work, or what type flavor did you use?

Back